Lightbulb Unanswered: Connecting Forms 6i to local Oracle 8i

Hello,

I am an educator teaching Oracle database and development classes at a small private college. I have Oracle 8i Enterprise installed on my local office machine (Win XP Pro) and then, since I was going to teach a class on Oracle 6i Forms Builder, I installed Forms Developer 6i on the same machine. I was able to see that Forms 6i messed up my Oracle_Home information in the registry and made it so neither worked. I got my database working again, but Forms will not connect to the database, and I'm sure there is got to be some fix to the registry settings to get Forms to see it's copy of the tnsnames file for connection. Anybody know what it is or how to fix forms (and/or Oracle 8i) to work with a local database instance? Any ideas or help would be appreciated, I've checked otn.oracle.com and all the help files I have access to and they are no help at all.

Thanks.

MBFonz
    Please reply to MBFonz@yahoo.com

Re: Connecting Forms 6i to local Oracle 8i

Hi mbfonz

When you say the forms can't connect - what errors are being reported?

Also you say that the 6i install messed up your registry settings - what did it do to them (as I understood it, oracle was pretty much okay with the multiple home thing - its even got that little gui tool (just looked it up - oracle home selector) to manage them).

Regards

Keith

ps You have probably already done this but I have a couple of users who user both reports 6i and odbc to connect to our db and for these users I have two tnsnames.ora files - one in the 8i oracle odbc install (eg ora8i/network/admin) and one in the 6i install (eg ora6i/net80/admin) - there's probably a much easier way to do it but it seems to work.

first ensure u can connect to oracle 8i

then checj the tnsnames in both oracle_home and orant/net80/admin and check if u have a string connecting to your local database

mine looks like this to my local database

KIMWAKI =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 196.1.100.100)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = kIMWAKI)
    (server=dedicated)
    )
    )

u can copy this changing the service name,host ip address and connecting string connecting string must be as was created using the net8 configuration assistant in your oracle 8 do it and it will work

all the best

only copy
    KIMWAKI =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 196.1.100.100)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = kIMWAKI)
    (server=dedicated)
    )
    )

in C:\orant\NET80\ADMIN in the tnsnames.ora

Lightbulb RE: Connecting Forms 6i to local Oracle 8i

Ok, here's some more information. My tnsnames.ora files are in the right place and are configured just right, I know how to configure them, what they should say, and where to put them. I can connect to my local database and remote databases using SQLPlus or the DBA tools that were installed with the Oracle 8i Enterprise software (which are in an Oracle) directory. When I installed Forms Developer it was installed to an Oracle2 directory and I noticed that the registry settings for the Oracle_Home are now pointed to Oracle2 for the forms builder software. There is no second Oracle_Home, there is one and many (not all) of the settings are pointing to the form builder locations (this is what I meant by it messed up the registry).

When I run the SQLPlus 8.0 (in the 'Oracle for Windows NT' folder) & Forms Builder software I get the following error message : "ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination". When I run Procedure Builder I get a similar error message when I try to connect to any database : "PDE-POC011 ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination (Additional error: depoc 4)."

It seems like it can't find the tnsnames.ora file under the Oracle2 directory for the forms builder applications. When I use the Oracle Home Selector is says, "There is only one (1) Oracle home defined on this machine and, therefore, this tool cannot change your primary Oracle home." Which confirms what I was saying about the registry being messed up.

Hopefully this makes my situation clear. I can run my local database and can connect (using SQLPlus, DBA Studio, or TOAD) to my local or any remote databases in my tnsnames.ora file. Forms builder, Procedure Builder and other installed software with the Oracle Forms 6i install does not work. And I'm looking for a fix. Any ideas? Please let me know.

Thanks.

MBFonz->

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...&p_id=114786.1

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...p_id=1015259.4

Here is a long shot, since I'm a Unix & not a Windoze person.
    TNS_ADMIN=\folder\where\known\good\tnsnames.ora\fi le\lives
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.