Unanswered: which DB should i choose

hi, i have to get start of one project, this project is to hold the information of students (more than 3000 student) , this application let officer check student progress, information, result and so on .

my problem is should i use mysql or postgres DB?

anyone can comment it out and suit to my case ?

anyone can point out the strength of each DB ?

or any other DB suit for this case ?

thank in advance...thank you !

Re: which DB should i choose

Originally posted by alvincks
    hi, i have to get start of one project, this project is to hold the information of students (more than 3000 student) , this application let officer check student progress, information, result and so on .

Check the documentation for both of DBs. Check features, advantages an disadvantages and decide yourself...

Re: which DB should i choose

Originally posted by alvincks

The previous post is a good one, but some good advice about this really depends upon what you wish to do with them. mySQL is very fast, while postGRE is very robust. mySQL locks completely during update, while postGRE allows individual insertions of records. If your use will push to a great amount of update while many concurrent users are presently connected, mySQL will bog down due to the locking, while postGRE will chug through unabated (although slower in the first place).

On the other hand, given the same hardware, mySQL will move many times faster with simple updates. This means that if you have many users while not needing many updates, mySQL is the way to go. If your site has over 50 request, queries, and updates per second, then use postGRE to take advantage of the robust features. This is a safe way to decide by what you will need it to do. Continue to research and you will find other opinions regarding the subject: don't just take my word.

Next is installation and usage. mySQL is far easier to install on Windows. It has an installer that is simple to use (think setup.exe). Installation of postGRE requires download of multiple files and can be confusing choosing the correct ones, extraction of those files, and then administration from a UNIX-like environment such as cygWin. This is quite more to do to get started. (Keep in mind that even mySQL has easier options, such as Access, which is a slower DB but much easier to get going from square zero.)

All in all, if you are installing for the first time and must choose between the two open source DB, pick mySQL. But keep in mind that it is NOT FREE for commercial use. It must be licensed much like other DB for this use.

postGRE is free no matter what the use. This is something to consider if you are going to use it to run a site from which you will profit.

Hope it helps.