Thread: Database Errors

Unanswered: Database Errors

I have Oracle 9i installed on XP Pro. When I try to go in Enterprise manager console and open a database I get the error: oracle.net.config.ServiceAliasException: 10
    Also when I open sql plus I get the error:
    ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
    and when I try to log in my database I get:
    ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Can anybody help me?

Hi,
    See in start/setting/control panel/services/oracleTNSListener services
    is runing or not.
    Configure ur tnsnames.ora file properly

Thanks,
    Pagnint
    (No need to search web before posting new question)

sounds like either the listener or the database are not running properly, is the listener running if you go into windows services?

check
    orahome\ora9i\network\log\listener.log
    and
    orahome\admin\<sid>\bdump\<sid>ALRT.log
    for errors and post them

Lsnrctl stat-> status of the listener should show the oracle service which it is to handle.

Stop the listener service with lsnrctl stop and restart lsnrctl start.
    All these are already told to u but its just another way of doing it.
    If the problem does not go check the listener configuration.
    Update the post with the listener.log file.

Kaushik

I checked the listener, everything seems okay. I also corrected tnsnames.ora and now I can connect to some databases okay in SQLplus but I cannot connect to my local database (although other people from other PCs can connect to my local database)
    From SQLplus i get:
    "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel"

Still in Enterprise Manager I can only see my local database and when I click on it I get the message:
    "oracle.net.config.ServiceAliasException: 10"

By the way I recently changed profiles on my PC. I was logging in as domain administrator, now I have a regular domain login ( I copied the administrator profile to the new profile and made myself local administrator too). From that day on I've been having these problems. Even if I log in as before (I haven't deleted the old profile) I get the same errors)

if other people can connect to your database then almost certainly your tnsnames file is wrong or if you have more than one oracle home it is using a different tnsnames file

You can bypass the tns (to test connection), assuming your database has a SID of ORCL, from a cmd prompt

SET ORACLE_HOME=ORCL
    sqlplus user/password (note, do not put a @orcl on the end)

that will then connect without using the tnsnames file. Assuming you do connect then that points towards a tnsnames error, try adding a new entry into your tnsnames.ora file (oraclehome\ora9i\network\admin\)

Code:
    orcl =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = CHANGE TO YOUR MACHINE NAME)(PORT = 1521))
        (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = orcl))
     )
    the way you log onto your pc shouldn't effect anything
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know Binary and those that don't.

can you confirm how many oracle homes you have by going into regedit and goto
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\
    and see how many homes directories there are under that

if there are more than one home you can add a registry key to force oracle (9) to use only one tnsnames file. Under the main oracle key add a new string value TNS_ADMIN with a value of C:\Oracle\Ora9i\network\admin assuming that is where your tnsnames file is
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know Binary and those that don't.

I commented out a line in sqlnet.ora (I found this info on the net somewhere) and that end-of-file error dissapeared. The line was:

"#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)"

Then another error came up but I managed to solve it. And yes, there was also an error in my tnsnames so that was fixed too.

Everything seems to be working okay for now. Does anybody know if anything else is affected by commenting out that line?

Thanks everybody for the replies!