Unanswered: copying files over workgroup

I want to copy the database backup files to another server as a part of logshipping implementation. tried using xcopy it doesn't work.
    it says "invalid drive specification"
    also tried using a dll, the dll does the copying i just had to call the dll through an sp, while trying this the QA hanged, tried killing the process but the process didn't kill, i had to restart the service.

the network in not a domain its workgroup.
    with sql server 2000 on win2k server.

any inputs are welcome.
    thanks in advance
    regards,
    harshal.

Did you try running the Copy or the XCOPY command from a DOS prompt on the Destination Server. I use to have the same kind of issue with the Copy /Y command. Sometimes it liked the /Y and Sometimes din't.

how did you use xcopy
    did you map a network drive to the remote shared folder or did you use the unc \\servername\sharename?
    i would check that you can connect with the unc from the run box on your start menu.

open run
    type \\servername\sharename where servername is the remote pc and sharename is the shared folder you are trying to connect to
    if you cannot do this
    you may want to open your cmd prompt and check that you can ping the remote host
    if you can ping but cannot connect through the run cmd then you are having upper layer issues (osi)
    check permissions and the rights on the share.

if the user accounts didnt match it would bring up a user\password dialog box.

good luck..

yeah tried mapping the folder also tried using unc path. Didn't work
    Also tried connecting thru cmd prompt and "run" prompt
    it connects well and copies the files too.
    even the dll which was created for the same thing worked fine if called from vb, but if the same dll when used
    through sql QA hanged the process without any results.

you may be subject to a permissions problem

i would check that the MSSQLServer and SQL Server Agent services are running under local user accounts and not a local system account
    and i would make sure that the same account exists on the destination server. (they should share the same password)

then give read permission to the folder to the user account

this goes against everything that i hold dear, and I feel dirty all over telling you how to do it...

Originally posted by Ruprect

i would check that the MSSQLServer and SQL Server Agent services are running under local user accounts and not a local system account
    and i would make sure that the same account exists on the destination server. (they should share the same password)

then give read permission to the folder to the user account

Been there done that already.
    it was the first thing to check the accounts under which the services are running.
    that is the reason me posting this here.
    thanks for the help.
    any other issues u can suggest?
    thanks in advance..
    regards,
    Harshal.