Unanswered: Calculating wages

If all employees get £7 per hour, how can I get Access to calculate employee wages when I type in the number of hours worked.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Where are you typing it in, and where do you need this figure to be displayed?

Without that information, the quick explanation is to store the rate the employee is paid with the employee information.

Then whenever you need to display the data, you can either have a form or report do the math for you in a text box:

=([Hours] * [rate])

...that is of course assuming Hours is an aggregate for that employee.

It's just like excel, if that helps

Text box

Create a text box on the form.

Put the following code in the record source:

Code:
    =[hoursworkedfieldname]*[£perhourfieldname]
    Hope that helps,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Teddy, JS, Thanks a million! It worked. Teddy Il try n get back to your questions. Just have to sort a few things out that I didn't think of before.

Thanks again.

Hi just seen your posting....

im not sure where you are loacted and if this will effect you but consider areas of premium payments (overtime at a different rate)

Also if you have a standard pay rate across the board you may want to have a default standard rate which you change once and thereafter all employees have their annual rise.

If you have a graded pay structure ie A grade 7 p/h B grade 6.50 p/h
    etc you may have to look at a coding system for the pay scales

sorry to bring these in there are MORE considerations but we've all been caught with this gem when dealing with a wages system no matter how simple an customer says they want it - bolt ons are a pain

regards
    gareth

Hi Gareth,

If I decide to have a graded pay structure, how would I go about achieving this?

Thanks for bringing up these points. Every bit helps and will contribute to my final degree mark.

Please let me know about the graded pay structure.

Provided Answers: 1
    with regard to the pay structure, and it's purpose ov maintaining flexibility, I would suggest that you store the pay scale with each individual employee.

What happens if the employee cannot be perfectly fit into one specific category? You have to Create a whole new category for that employee.

Essentially instead of storing an int with the pay_grade_id, you will store a float with the actual payroll factor. While at first this may seem like slight bloat, one must also consider that you have now eliminated a second table that would be necessary to hold pay grades and their respective factors.

hello there

Whilst I agree in principle to the suggestion made by teddy - bear in mine that if you have a considerable amount of employees it could require a huge keying operation to adjust pays ie in a supermarket chain its possible to have approx 23000 hourly paid staff with their pay scale attached! it would be a momentous job to adjust these especially if its to be ajusted for weekly paid staff - possibly a table of pay codes could help here that way you could have an individual on ie HP1 (Hourpaid 1 = 5.50ph) so you could then set that wages using combo with the code and rate shown - this way if a person is promoted due to age (Uk minimum wage rules) or for career reason you can just change it for that clock number (ID) AND you can place ALL wages scales in that table so that hourly paid, weekly(monthly) could be promoted to a management pay scale simply

will this help this gem along a little???

gareth

AAHHHHH

a thought has just occured to me!!!!!

Is that database used for a educational project or is it to be for a real end user?

If its the prior you may just get away with a simple PAYE system but if its for an end user you will have to consider the introduction of TAX - National Insurance contributions - Pensions and DAS (Deduct at source) plus the layout for single time - time+33% - time+50% - time+100% (all these are overtime calculations)

These are just some of the gemeric things forunf in a UK style wage system ( I noted u you may be UK based for the £7 payment you refered to in the first posting)

hope i havn'nt made this more of a mountain for you - just thought it needed highlighting or a basic rethink would suddenly be upon you

gareth

Originally posted by garethfx
    AAHHHHH

a thought has just occured to me!!!!!

Is that database used for a educational project or is it to be for a real end user?

Lol, Gareth it's my final year project that is due this May. I was wondering about all this complication. I used what Teddy wrote and works fine. Thanks for all the help anyway. Im sure it will come handy when I start working.

Talking Calculating wages

Hi ,

Its better to put your table which contains the employees and hours worked in a query and the add a field in that query which contains the following Exression :

=[Hours_Worked_Cell]*[Rate_Per_Hour]

and that expression , you can make a sum of it at the end of Employees Section in reports by putting a textbox contains the following expression :

= Sum([Expr#])

hope it helps ......

Hany Adel