Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Secure.mdw (Can it be removed)?

I have placed my database in a workgroup of my own creation is there a way I can take the database out of the workgroup so I can import from it and such? I cant create a smaller example when I need help on here because I have secured it :-/ The Database is 80MB because I attached 286 pictures to one table. I know that wasnt the best thing to do but when I link the pictures they are distorted and print that way :/.

I need to know how to remove the database from the workgroup when needed so I can atleast create a copy of it or something. Or import some tables and forms from it.

I hope you understand my question and are able to help.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Re: Secure.mdw (Can it be removed)?

Originally posted by JSThePatriot
    I have placed my database in a workgroup of my own creation is there a way I can take the database out of the workgroup so I can import from it and such? I cant create a smaller example when I need help on here because I have secured it :-/ The Database is 80MB because I attached 286 pictures to one table. I know that wasnt the best thing to do but when I link the pictures they are distorted and print that way :/.

I need to know how to remove the database from the workgroup when needed so I can atleast create a copy of it or something. Or import some tables and forms from it.

I hope you understand my question and are able to help.

JS
    Have you tried reassigning the pc to a different MDW using the WorkGroup Adminstrator program? Try that 1st ...

What exactly do you mean? Just like joining another workgroup? except without user names and passwords?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

What exactly do you mean? Just like joining another workgroup? except without user names and passwords?
    BINGO! Maybe try resetting back to the original system.mdw ...

Okay I will try that ...

Will let you know in a bit if it worked

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Hrm...

that didnt work out well at all... now I am locked out of my database :-P Thats okay though because I think I can fix that but I need another suggestion... Maybe I should also test this on a small insignificant test database or something hehe

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Okay I have it fixed back now... joining the normal .mdw doesnt work I want to totally get rid of the workgroup thing. I want out of it... (so I can join and get out ne time I want.) :-/

bleh,
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Secure.mdw -> no.mdw

I'm not sure I understand the problem here.

My first instinct would be to open the original database and make sure that Admin owns everything and has admin rights on everything.

After that create a completely blank database, making sure you're using the system.mdw file. Import everything into the new database. You should then be able to open this with no passwords, user ids etc. This seems too simple a solution, and I'm certain I'm missing something obvious - apologies if this suggestions was a waste of time.

The thing about that is...

The thing about creating a blank one is... when I try to import, it tells me I dont have the proper permisions, but I can export from my current to a new one. (Just it takes forever to export all the information that I have. :-/) I was basically wondering if there was a faster way. I have created my own little workgroup for my work network.

Hope that explains a little bit more. Any help to do this faster would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Lightbulb Re: The thing about that is...

hm. try this on a BACKUP/xtra copy of your db and of your workgroup file.

1. copy both to a new location.
    2. copy your original system.mdw to that folder as well
    (assuming that the original system.mdw does not require you to use a pw for the admin account)
    3. open the db, set the pointer to the workgroup file to point to the copy in your new folder.
    4. create a new user in the workgroup, set it as member of the admins group. Write down EXACTLY the unique string for that user.
    5. close the db, change to the original system.mdw workgroup
    6. create a new blank db, and create THE SAME user using exactly the same unique string. (not sure, think you have to have a db open to do that, otherwise the new blank db is not necessary). Make sure that user is member of the admin group in that workgroup as well.
    7. set a temporary password for first that admin user, then one for the new user.
    8. open the db you want to "resolve" with the new mdw, logging in as the new user.
    9. using the new user, transfer the ownership of the db and all objects to the admin account.
    10. log out and in again as Admin with the temporary pw. Set the pw to nothing for the admin account.
    11. log out, make a copy of your mdw (just in case the last step does not work...) - open the db again, now you should not be asked for pw, you are automatically Admin. Delete the new user. Close and reopen the db.
    12. copy the new version of your system.mdw back to the original location (please back up the one there before overwriting, just in case...) - set Access to point to the one that is now back in the original / desired normal mdw directory....

(have I introduced unnecessary steps here? just trying to be safe but as short as possible... :-) )

The whole point is getting around the problem by using a new admin user which is exactly the same in both mdw's.
    Then you can give the original admin the ownership.

D.
    Last edited by kedaniel; 04-12-04 at 13:02.

Arrow Re: The thing about that is...

- for those who read this thread the last 5 minutes:

Sorry, I discovered two minor errors in my first posting, posted them as replies, but then decided to delete them and tidy my original posting instead. The posting above should now be somewhat correct.

D.

MDW Trouble :)

Wouldnt I be able with my current admin abilities be able to transfer everything anyways?

Also the last thing I had tried on this subject ended up making me have to repair access (because I forgot to backup my system1.mdw :-P) It opened all of my new databases asking for my password to my exclusive database hehe.

Gosh I wish there was a more simple way, like even if I could open a new database and import everything except that attribute from the secured database, it always says I am not allowed. If anyone could tell me how this could be done then that would work as well and I wouldnt have to get rid of my current mdw.

Thanks,
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Re: MDW Trouble :)

Wouldnt I be able with my current admin abilities be able to transfer everything anyways?
    '
    If you could, then there is no need for 12 steps.
    I am afraid you will only be able to take ownership of the objects, but not the db itself, without taking these steps.

I feel myself that this ended up as a too long list, so please do correct me if I have introduced something unnecessary.

D.

Does anyone know a way that I could import data from a secure database?

That is the reason I posted all of this in here anyways. I didnt think to ask this question in the beginning. I hope this helps anyone who hasnt posted on here that may know something be able to help me.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. You have been the most helpful forum, I have actually not even posted on any other forum since I joined here because of the quickness and accuracy of the answers I have recieved here.

Thanks again,
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Re: MDW Trouble :)

Gosh I wish there was a more simple way, like even if I could open a new database and import everything except that attribute from the secured database.
    To do such an operation, one db must be open, while trying to import from the other. Hence, there is only one workgroup active at that moment. The user you are logged onto the first db (the one you want to import into), must have sufficient permissions in the db you try to import from.

So you have to take the necessary steps to have an identical user that can access both.

Not sure if you can do this with much fewer steps than described above.

Daniel