Cool Unanswered: Networking MS Access Database

Hi group. I'm a new hire to the Christian Appalachian Project which is a non-profit charity organization that provides services to those who need in the Appalachian region of Kentucky. There are now two of us to handle the IS needs for the organizations many offices throughout the state. One of the IS staff's functions is not programming, ergo the database problem. NOW to the POINT!
    One of the staff groups had a consultant create a database using MS Access. Several people at two remote offices share the database. The database resides on our server. This office has a T1 to the network cloud. The two remote user offices connect to the cloud with 256k fractional T1s. The users complain about the slowness when using the database which I've been informed is because each time a hit on it is performed the database in it's entirety must be transferred across the network. What can be done to speed this monster up? I was under the impression that MS Access is not a preferred tool to use for networked database services. What else could we use, keeping in mind the cost factor.

Re: Networking MS Access Database

Originally posted by Jimmy S
    Hi group. I'm a new hire to the Christian Appalachian Project which is a non-profit charity organization that provides services to those who need in the Appalachian region of Kentucky. There are now two of us to handle the IS needs for the organizations many offices throughout the state. One of the IS staff's functions is not programming, ergo the database problem. NOW to the POINT!
    One of the staff groups had a consultant create a database using MS Access. Several people at two remote offices share the database. The database resides on our server. This office has a T1 to the network cloud. The two remote user offices connect to the cloud with 256k fractional T1s. The users complain about the slowness when using the database which I've been informed is because each time a hit on it is performed the database in it's entirety must be transferred across the network. What can be done to speed this monster up? I was under the impression that MS Access is not a preferred tool to use for networked database services. What else could we use, keeping in mind the cost factor.
    How is the database setup? Is there a separate frontend (forms, reports, etc...) and backend (data)? Is replication and reconciliation a possibility?

Have you considered the possibility of using a web front end for the database? It could be accessed from anywhere and the data would never leave the server.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Thumbs down

Originally posted by JSThePatriot
    Have you considered the possibility of using a web front end for the database? It could be accessed from anywhere and the data would never leave the server.

JS
    I don't think a web front end is practical because currently the users have a direct link to the database over a fractional T1 inside the Domain.

(JS) Jimmy S

web is not practical because of safety and security implications..never a good idea unless u got rock solid firewall...which is pricey

if you split the DB, chances are it might be even slower..or faster...its a random thing..

if you already have it split, try initializing the .rowsource properties of the fields at runtime, ie. In your form.load, ...set Me.Item.Rowsource.="SQl somee....blah blah"

might want to try going to a MSDE back end. another option is to set up a terminal service on a local computer that everyone can connect to that way they run the access database localy and it is alot quicker (very cheap easy solution, although not the neetest one)

I was also going to recommend the MSDE back end. It uses the SQL Server engine, rather than Access so it handles things like record locking and paging differently than Access. Specifically, it is engineered to handle enterprise data applications whereas Access solutions are just (not-so) elegant kludges.

The good thing about the MSDE back-end is that you can still use an Access front-end.

There are posts here in the forum about how to optimize Access when using a better back-end. Try searching on optimization or upsizing. It seems to me some people had pretty good feedback that is relevant when someone was asking about upsizing an Access database to SQL Server.

MSDE used to be free but I don't know if it came free on an SQL Server CD or was just downloadable. Using a Terminal Server, as Reginald Suggests is another, albeit costly, solution.

Good luck!