Unanswered: printing form help please

first off, i haven't used access since i was in school
    had an emergency and created a database and form for a small business. loaded the thing and it ran fine on a brand new puter. the minute i left, the guy calls and tells me the program is gone! went back and it was indeed gone. so now i am redoing it. it's basically a form that was needed so he can create receipts. he wanted to do it on the form so i created a table and then a form. i "linked them" using the table as the record source. that was correct right?

but on to the printing. his old .dtf files would print the same form twice on one page. he needs 4 copies of each form and complained because he only needed to hit the print button twice and he could get them. his old pc was running a program in dos and i told him if i did this he'd have to buy a new pc

so anyway, is there anyway to print 2 copies of each form to one page? he is having a hard enough time doing the file print thing! i am so sorry i ever got involved but i try to help out.

any pointers? and when i go reload this mess tomorrow, what do i do to ensure it stays on the computer? he's running XP which i am unfamilier with. i'll be up waiting for a reply! have no choice.

If I understand, you have a some "block" of data and lines that takes up about 1/2 a page. You want this 1/2 page block to print twice on the page, because you need 4 copies total.

Is this correct?

As for the disappearing file, it's probably not XP that did it. Keep a backup handy and be aware of how he accesses the program.

yes, i want 2, 1/2 page forms to print on each papaer. he needs 4 copies of each form.

what should i be watching for as to how he opens the program?

i really am out of touch

To be honest, I'm not sure what to watch. I have a situation where one of my user's manages to change the name, extension and icon of the program file simply by double-cliking the shortcut.

It only happens on this one machine, only about 1 out of 4 times and there is nothing unusual about the shortcut. I know it's actually happening becasue it happens only while I'm logged in on his machine.....

What caught my attention was that he's coming from DOS. There's a lot of little things about windows we take for granted, but methods we may have in DOS can have interesting results in windows.

Plus, use the military model when using Microsoft: always have a backup - that means having two (copies) of everything.

In any case, the printing concern. You need to do a bit of math and will likely spend some time tweaking, but the solution is a snap.

Your paper is 11" high, minus margins. Let's say you're printed item will have .5" margins and you want 2 per page. 11/2 = 5.5" high, minus 1" for the top and bottom margin. You with me so far? 4.5" detail.

Setup your report so that it fits in the 4.5 inches. Include a small line at the very top for future reference.

Select all the controls and copy them to the clipboard. Turn around twice in your chair and then paste them back into the report. Remember that little line at the very top? Line up the pasted set of controls so that that line is at 4.5".

Repeat the process (copy all, spin in your chair, paste all) and lineup the little line at the 9" mark.

When Access formats this report for the printer, it will take the 18" document page and divide it across 2 pages of paper.

I attached a sample. To be honest, I didn't spin in my chair and I should have lined up the marks to make it look better :-)

Have fun.

thanks for your help i didn't see an attached example though.

i told him i wasn't rushing on doing the print thing for him either. no more trying to do it all overnight for me! access is not my field and as i said...it's been a while since i used it in class.

it's amazing to me how people get so attached to DOS and old win 95 pc's! my next thing is to try to figure out how to get his old .dtf files back so he can recoup his data. probably can't be done but he has years of paper backups so that may have to do. or maybe he should just practice and input it all into the database. lol

spin in my chair? i've had an ear infection for 4 weeks that won't go away and that's all i have been doing! spinning and twirling. it's like being possessed! the dr is going to try another med tomorrow!

thanks again!

tcace,

that's a clever way of handling the reporting. could you post the sample?

I could have used something like this in the past, but didn't have the time/patience to invest.

thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,

CP

you know what i wound up telling the guy? you're going to laugh but it works!

cut a stack of paper in half and load it into the darn paper tray (all he uses the puter for is printing forms). then selct the one record and hit print 4 times

it worked and i got him to smile!

i told him i'd work on a button to place on the form that would choose "selected record only".