Unanswered: Linked servers to DB2 and AS400

Hi!
    I would like to set up linked servers to DB2 and AS400 in SQL server and update the tables in these two databases via stored procedures in SQL servers.

I have read articles on Microsoft site which indicate installing Microsoft Host integration server and use SNA server 4.0 Service pack 4.0 to

configure DB2OLEDB drivers.

Could any one suggest how do go about doing this.

Do I need to buy Host integration server or is there any other way to do it.

your help is much appreciated

Nalina

Provided Answers: 54
    There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats. I can think of several ways to do this, from several different vendors.

My suggestion would be to approach your vendor of choice (probably IBM in this case), and ask them to propose a solution. If that solution works for you, and is affordable, I'd run with it. If not, open up the bidding to at least two more vendors (and inform your vendor of choice, of course), then see what happens.

The biggest problem that I see is that when you are doing this kind of integration, there are many factors that come into play. Without considerable knowledge of your circumstances it would be easy to lead you astray and cost you an enormous amount of extra money or create a solution that was only part of what you need.

-PatP