I have a simple Crystal report that I want to pull any empty records of a certain field called "Addenda." This is a memo field. The DB administrator indexed the field and the field is showing as indexed when he pulls it up in the Visual Linking Expert and looks at properties.
However, I am working at a different location (same server so I can't figure out why) and when I try to add this field to the "Select Expert" criteria, it doesn't even show up in the list of field names. So then when I go to the Visual Linking Expert and look at the properties of the field, it show as not indexed! And the add index button is grayed out and won't let me add it.
We can't figure out why it is indexed in the table itself but not showing at a different office location. Not sure if this is a Crystal quirk or DB problem.
Any suggestions will be greatly apprectiated since this report is a very important report.
Did you verify the datasource through Crystal Reports after the table was changed?
In general, it is best not to have any interface interact directly with the database tables. I always recommend that the report logic be put in a stored procedure or view, and that Crystal Report's role be limited to formatting an presenting the output.
If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.
Well this is a couple of years too late but I just ran across this posting while having the same issue. I found the cause of the problem and since a fix isn't here and someone else might also run across this posting....
If the field is a memo or a large varchar you can not access it with the Select Expert. In my case the field was a varchar datatype with a length of 2000. Since I needed to limit the report results based on some text contained in the field I had to build a view in SQL Server containing a query to limit the column to the info I wanted. Then I added the view to Crystal Reports and inserted the column from the view on my report.