Question Unanswered: Network Packet Size - WAN Performance

We have an application that runs across the WAN to multiple locations. Performance is poor and we are looking at ways to improve performance. One suggestion from our Sr. Network Administrator is to change our Network Packet Sizes across all points, SQL Server & NIC to match the outgoing Router. This would be a size of 1440.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this?

The default for SQL is 4096, if you shrink it to 1440 you'd see degradation for even simple requests. Fiddling with things like this at best will buy you marginal gains (not in this case though)

i know that you are trying for a network based solution but it has been my experience that most appdevs try to bring the entire db across the net and then try looping through it..
    monitor your db and consider the following db based solutions

try using more stored procedures and functions less open sql stmts.
    use effective sargs to limit the results to just what you need to retrieve
    and try to share as much application logic with the front end by placing it on the sql server this will cut down on sizable amounts of traffic.

you can use the sql profiler and the query analyzer to trace client statistics, i would try to do this as well.

Unhappy

The problem is the software, but it is a package product from a vendor. We are hoping the new version corrects this, but that may be several months away.

This idea was used to improve a Remote Access program (NetOp), and we did see improvements. I guess the thought is that if the packet sizes match the Router, then we will not be taking a part and putting packets back together.