Unanswered: Database recommendation

Hi,
    I am not sure where to post this, so forgive me if it is in the wrong place. I am looking for a PC based database program that will allow me to embed a graphic in the record - not just a link to the file - will let me link to a powerpoint viewer and MP3 player, let me create my own data entry screen - not just a table type entry screen, and will also let me work with Chinese characters. I am struggling now studying Chinese now and want to make an electronic textbook that will help me study and review. Freeware would be good - we are all Christian relief workers studying in China preparing to work in more remote areas. Alternatively, if a program like Access will do it, is there a compiler available that will let us run the datafile without having the application loaded on the computer? Thanks for any help you can provide.

T

Re: Database recommendation

Originally posted by haopengyou
    Hi,
    I am not sure where to post this, so forgive me if it is in the wrong place. I am looking for a PC based database program that will allow me to embed a graphic in the record - not just a link to the file - will let me link to a powerpoint viewer and MP3 player, let me create my own data entry screen - not just a table type entry screen, and will also let me work with Chinese characters. I am struggling now studying Chinese now and want to make an electronic textbook that will help me study and review. Freeware would be good - we are all Christian relief workers studying in China preparing to work in more remote areas. Alternatively, if a program like Access will do it, is there a compiler available that will let us run the datafile without having the application loaded on the computer? Thanks for any help you can provide.

T

You have apparently considered FileMaker, because oyu posted in the the FileMaker Pro forum. FileMaker 7 can easy do everything that you have outlined. It is not a free application, but in the software world it is rare that you do not get what you pay for.

If you were to decide to utilize FileMaker Pro, I may be able to help you out with some custom development or at leat I could create 'runtime' version of the FileMaker solution that you develop, saving you from the need of purchasing FileMaker Developer.

thanks,

Joe

Re: Database recommendation

Hi, there! Yes, FMP should be able to do all that and is extremely customizable. It is fast and easy-to-use and I highly recommend it for most users. It is designed for creating custom user interfaces and you will comfortable in its "layout" mode if you are familiar with basic drawing and graphics tools. Layouts can have fields, labels, buttons, pop-up lists, drop down menus, checkboxes, radio buttons, appearing/disappearing items depending on state and/or content, etc., and it's all very easy to do. Graphics can be stored in "container" fields, but I believe this can affect performance for large databases so it probably depends on the size and resolutions you need.
    --ST

Thanks!

That's 2 points for FM Does FM support Chinese characters? Can you recommend a good site to buy it at a really good discount? Or...is there an earlier (cheaper) version that will do the things I need?

Thanks again.

T

Re: Thanks!

That's 2 points for FM Does FM support Chinese characters? Can you recommend a good site to buy it at a really good discount? Or...is there an earlier (cheaper) version that will do the things I need?

Thanks again.

T

http://www.filemaker.com/ti/107505.html

Long and short is, you'll be stuck in Filemaker version 4 if you want Chinese characters. However, if you can find a copy of that on ebay or buycheapsoftware.com or somewhere else, you should be able to achieve what you're looking for. You can link to MP3s or even embed them right in the database in FM4. I'm not sure about interaction with Powerpoint, although i suspect you'll be able to accomplish everything within FM that you are now doing in Powerpoint.

Hi,
    If I set up the application in Access, is it easy to transfer to FM?

Hi,
    If I set up the application in Access, is it easy to transfer to FM?
    No. The data will transfer fairly easily in most cases, but you'll have to rebuild any functions from scratch. FM and Acce$$ handle front-end things in vastly different ways. If you set it up in Access, stick with Access, otherwise you'll be duplicating a lot of work.

J