Unanswered: database recommendation

Hi,
    I am not sure where to post this, so forgive me if it is in the wrong place. I am looking for a PC based database program that will allow me to embed a graphic in the record - not just a link to the file - will let me link to a powerpoint viewer and MP3 player, let me create my own data entry screen - not just a table type entry screen, and will also let me work with Chinese characters. I am struggling now studying Chinese now and want to make an electronic textbook that will help me study and review. Freeware would be good - we are all Christian relief workers studying in China preparing to work in more remote areas. Alternatively, if a program like Access will do it, is there a compiler available that will let us run the datafile without having the application loaded on the computer? Thanks for any help you can provide.

T

I don't know all the answers but I understand that if you get the Developer's version of Access (costs more in the short run, though), you can create and compile free-standing applications that don't require local installations of Access for your users.

Well, a google search for "chinese language review software" produced ga-googles of hits. Perhaps the program you are looking for already exists.

(a ...) google (n): A number equal to the number of pages promised by Google.com in response to almost any search. Generally recognized to be close to infinity.

googler (n): A person who derives perverse pleasure by determining which page the "google"-th web-page returned in a particular search actually is.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Thanks...both are good suggestions...I have already spent ga-googles of time reading websites. I have found two problems. The first is that most options correlate to older textbooks that utilize Chinese teaching methods, i.e. rote memorization and would actually extend our study time. The other hits correlate to nothing at all and, at best, would be little more than a game to occupy 15 or 20 minutes.

Database recommendation - don't do it!

Can't answer all your questions, but Access will let you embed graphics in a table (it's possible to write code on the screen to allow you to do this from a form). I NEVER reccommend to anyone to do this as it makes Access more prone to crash and corrupt the database. When you use this method the database grows very quickly and, with 97, when it gets beyond a certain size it becomes almost impossible to repair it once it gets corrupted.

If you want to run it so that you don't need to put Access on all the target computers think about building your front end in Visual Basic. The prgram can be compiled with a wizard that makes it straightforward to install on the users machine with all the .dlls etc that are needed.

Alternately you could try using .php to priduce the front end (it's free) but I'm not too familiar with it.

A completely free combination fro your needs might be .php and mySQL, but I don't think even the latest version of mySQL allows embedded graphics.