Unanswered: Benefits of being Sybase Certified

hi all

i want to know if there are any additional benefits
    (like free membership of something or free participation etc)
    provided by Sybase for certified professionals

thanx
    Last edited by perl; 04-12-04 at 20:58.

Angry

My personal, unsolicited opinion is that "certifications" are not worth the vellum they are printed on. They are a product that is sold to developers.

There does not live nor breathe any developer who is not keenly aware of the deficiencies of his or her own knowledge. With only a little persuasion, they link those deficiencies to (fear of un-)employability and persuade themselves to buy a piece of expensive vellum.

It is impossible to know everything about a product. But, you don't need to do that. What you need to develop is a highly refined ability to discover and learn new things quickly. Keep your head above the four walls of your cubicle; read mags and websites (on your own time), be aware of the same kinds of things your boss makes it her business to know about, but don't bother trying to become a walking, talking encyclopaedia about them. Instead, know where the information you'll need is when the time comes for you to actually need it. If you ever do.

People aren't hired, or retained, based on what they "know." They're hired and retained based on what they can do.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Hi sundialsvcs

Thanx for replying.

Whatever u r saying is correct but i think certification is nothing but to market yourself in a better way and yes 'sometimes' certis give them edge in the sense of preference to get hired , isnt it .

actually, I just wanted to know facilities provided by Sybase to certified professionals
    Last edited by perl; 04-12-04 at 20:30.

This is one of the best posts I've ever read. Right on the mark...

Originally posted by sundialsvcs
    My personal, unsolicited opinion is that "certifications" are not worth the vellum they are printed on. They are a product that is sold to developers.

There does not live nor breathe any developer who is not keenly aware of the deficiencies of his or her own knowledge. With only a little persuasion, they link those deficiencies to (fear of un-)employability and persuade themselves to buy a piece of expensive vellum.

It is impossible to know everything about a product. But, you don't need to do that. What you need to develop is a highly refined ability to discover and learn new things quickly. Keep your head above the four walls of your cubicle; read mags and websites (on your own time), be aware of the same kinds of things your boss makes it her business to know about, but don't bother trying to become a walking, talking encyclopaedia about them. Instead, know where the information you'll need is when the time comes for you to actually need it. If you ever do.

People aren't hired, or retained, based on what they "know." They're hired and retained based on what they can do.

Agree with the previous posts, but...

Each boss can fix the rules for a specific position. You can decide to follow or not the rule, but then don't be desappointed if you miss the position ;-)

E.g. To become Sybase Sr Consultant, you must have one of these f... certification.

The certification only prove that you fully read the documentation. No garantee about your ability to do the job.