Unanswered: Want initial raws of database table

HI all...
    I am using MS SQL 2000 DB...from last 4 months....I want to take backup of the data from 1st january to 29th Feb 2004 and then trim this data to freeup some space in my dtabase.
    Is it possible?if yes hOW?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chandresh here

Re: Want initial raws of database table

Originally posted by cnkhandar
    HI all...
    I am using MS SQL 2000 DB...from last 4 months....I want to take backup of the data from 1st january to 29th Feb 2004 and then trim this data to freeup some space in my dtabase.
    Is it possible?if yes hOW?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chandresh here
    You can do a backup. You can also shrink the database. If you are not doing transaction log backups, you can free up a lot of space by right-clicking on the database, going to properties, changing the recovery mode to Simple, then shrinking the database.

Other than DBCC SHRINKDB and changing the recovery mode, there's no way to "trim the database". You can write a script to go in and delete records from the database. You can also make a new database and just copy over the structure.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

do you want to archive the entire database or just one table
    if one table, then you can extract the data based on a date range in a query and select into a new table and then delete the data from the orig table
    however, if you want to actually perform a time based backup on the database itself, that is much different and much more difficult.
    one product that has given me a lot of success is lumigent log explorer. you could open up backed up versions of the logs and filter by dates and then export that data into an new db and then delete that info from the old db. it's possible
    but what i would want to know is what causes you to want to dump your intitial data? could you explain a bit more maybe there is a simpler solution.

Backup data

Since I am from India,its not mentioned in Country selection criteria,so I cant download lumigent log explorer program.
    I want to just trim database (All tables irrespective of the dates and time data entered in tables)from 1st of Jan 2004 to 29th Feb 2004,since from 1st March there has been lot of updates done in our network,so the data will be different then the old one.So I want to delete all data b4 29th feb and at the same time i want to take backup of the same for future reference.
    Can you help me on this???
    Thanks in advance....
    chandresh here(India)