Unanswered: DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet - Variable Filename Path

I've built an MS Access 2000 application that imports from Excel 2000. However, I want the Filename path to be entered by the user into a Text box on a Form - versus a fixed path stored in the Macro of VB Code. So, from a Form, I've added a Text box called [ImportLocation] for the user to enter the filename's path. I've got a command button called "ImportMacro" linked to the following VB Code:

Private Sub ImportMacro_Click()
    On Error GoToErr_ImportMacro_Click()

Dim ITS_Dump As String

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, 8, "ITS_Dump", [ImportLocation].Value, [Yes],""

Exit ImportMacro_Click:
    Exit Sub

Upon execution, I get the following message:

"Can't find the field 'I' referred to in your expression."

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I have done a similar thing where I export to excel instead of importing as you are trying to do.

I used a Save dialog to get the filename for the exported file. It works by calling the standard windows open/save dialog box. It looks a little more professional than asking the user to type in a path & filename. Plus, it limits the chances of the user typing the path/filename incorrectly.

Have a look here -> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm , it shows you an example of how to call the open/save dialog box.

HTH.
    Regards,
    Rod.

Programmer response #5 - "Even though it doesn't work, how does it feel?"

Cool Got it working

The problem was in my code. There's not a lot of information about when to use Quotes vs. Brackets in various levels of Access. In this case it was trial & error. Regardless, the problem was solved by changing the brackets around my Table Name to Quotes (ie: From [ITS_Dump] to "ITS_Dump"). The correct code is as follows:

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, 8, "ITS_Dump", [ImportLocation].Value, [Yes],""

The VB Code now refers to a path I can designate/change in a Text box on my form, versus hiding a fixed path within the VB Code or Transfer Spreadsheet Macro.
    Last edited by druyver; 04-12-04 at 18:09.