Question Unanswered: SQLplus question

Hi There,

I'm a newbie - so apologies if I'm in the wrong area - I looked for SQLplus but couldn't find.

I'm having difficulty with a wildcard function.....

Yes it is for an assignment.....

I have to be able to have a user (read marker) input a letter and have a list of personnel appear.

Here are the 2 things that have almost worked and what happened:

p.pers_name=&person_name%'

In this option, when it asks for person name - I have to input the quotation mark then the letter eg: 'M and it completes the wildcard and the 2nd quotation mark which works.....

p.pers_name='&person_name%'

With this one - I don't need to put in any quotation marks but it doesn't return any result - I get 'no rows selected'.

Now I'm VERY confused!! I want the user to be able to input a letter without having to put in the quotation marks, but also to have it return the correct response.

Can someone pls assist me??

Thanks

Boltz

Red face Re: SQLplus question

Hello,

I worked it out - sorry for wasting space.

B. :-)

Originally posted by Boltz
    Hi There,

I'm a newbie - so apologies if I'm in the wrong area - I looked for SQLplus but couldn't find.

I'm having difficulty with a wildcard function.....

Yes it is for an assignment.....

I have to be able to have a user (read marker) input a letter and have a list of personnel appear.

Here are the 2 things that have almost worked and what happened:

p.pers_name=&person_name%'

In this option, when it asks for person name - I have to input the quotation mark then the letter eg: 'M and it completes the wildcard and the 2nd quotation mark which works.....

p.pers_name='&person_name%'

With this one - I don't need to put in any quotation marks but it doesn't return any result - I get 'no rows selected'.

Now I'm VERY confused!! I want the user to be able to input a letter without having to put in the quotation marks, but also to have it return the correct response.

Can someone pls assist me??

Thanks

Boltz