Unanswered: Problem using MSDE with Access Project

I installed MSDE SP3a on my XP Pro laptop using the following options:
    SAPWD=abc456
    instancename=MSDE01
    DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0
    SECURITYMODE=SQL
    DATADIR="C:\MSDE"
    TARGETDIR="C:\MSDE"

I went to services and started MSSQL$MSDE01 and SQLAgent$MSDE01.

I opened up MSACCESS 2003 and created a new project with new data. The SQL Server Database Wizard popped up and I entered (local)MSDE01 for the SQL server and clicked the Use Trusted Connection.

After several seconds, I receive an error message:
    Connection failed:
    SQLState: '01000'
    SQL Server Error: 53
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
    Connection failed:
    SQLState: '08001'
    SQL Server Error: 17
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I can connect to this instance of MSDE using ASP.NET and the Server Explorer. So I'm pretty sure that I have a good install of MSDE.

Does anyone have a clue as to what I am doing wrong when I try to connect via Access?

Re: Problem using MSDE with Access Project

I have encountered the same problem using the enterprise manager from SQL 6.5, however I never got around to solving it other then downloading some tools built for MSDE. If you need a quick solution try making a DSN connection on your machine and connect access using the DSN until you figure out what is causing the problem.
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

I'm not familiar with DSNs. I gave it a try with a User DSN, and picked SQL Server as the Driver. I then got a "Create a New Data Source to SQL Server" window. The drop down listbox for Which SQL Server do you want to connect to was empty. I typed (local)MSDE01 and gave it a name. Then I received a window that asked for authentication. I chose Windows NT authentication.

I hit Next and received the following error:
    Connection failed:
    SQLState: '01000'
    SQL Server Error: 1231
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
    Connection failed:
    SQLState: '08001'
    SQL Server Error: 17
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.