Unanswered: Archive Log Issues for Hot Backup

Hi All,
    I have configured my Database is in Archive Log Mode. The database is oracle9i R-2 9.2.0.4.0 on SUN Solaris 9. I have following issues with reference to above pls:

1. I noticed the Archive Log is being generated very frequently...My Redo Log size is 150MB. (6 Groups of 2 member each). I had 13GB space left on the OS for Archive Log destination, but it has filled it with-in 9 hours. The problem occurred in the night at 3 O' clock and my database was in Hung position. I then backed up archive log files and deleted it. I do not know why so much of Archive Log files are generated.. Could be because lot many operations executed that day..Is there anything which we can track & find out what was the cause for this...
    2. We then stopped the Archive Log temporarily & tried to shutdonw the database with shutdown immediate command. It did not work & i waited for approx. 45 minutes. Why this command did not worked..? Is it right phenomenon in this case.
    3. We then had no option but to execute shutdown abort. It stopped by DB isntance. It restarted OK. Was there any other point than to execute shutdown abort.??
    4. How to oraganize Archive Log files...? Do we need to delete it after Hot backup is successfully done for the database..? Or do we need to keep it always in its destination directory. Basically i may like to know that what should be the retention of Archive Log files if we are taking Hot Backup daily in the evening & almost 10-12 Archive log files are generated every day.
    5. If any point of time, if we shutdown the database and take COLD backup of all DBFs, Control Files, Log files etc. then is there any use of archive log files which was backed up earlier..Do we still need to keep them or not.?

Please help me. I am in the process of setting backup / recovery policy in my organization. At present i am trying to utilize RMAN for this and in future we may opt to use some third pary tool like Veritas or Open View etc. The answer my query will give me better understanding & help.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR

Re: Archive Log Issues for Hot Backup

Originally posted by RastogiKamesh
    Hi All,
    I have configured my Database is in Archive Log Mode. The database is oracle9i R-2 9.2.0.4.0 on SUN Solaris 9. I have following issues with reference to above pls:

1. I noticed the Archive Log is being generated very frequently...My Redo Log size is 150MB. (6 Groups of 2 member each). I had 13GB space left on the OS for Archive Log destination, but it has filled it with-in 9 hours. The problem occurred in the night at 3 O' clock and my database was in Hung position. I then backed up archive log files and deleted it. I do not know why so much of Archive Log files are generated.. Could be because lot many operations executed that day..Is there anything which we can track & find out what was the cause for this...
    2. We then stopped the Archive Log temporarily & tried to shutdonw the database with shutdown immediate command. It did not work & i waited for approx. 45 minutes. Why this command did not worked..? Is it right phenomenon in this case.
    3. We then had no option but to execute shutdown abort. It stopped by DB isntance. It restarted OK. Was there any other point than to execute shutdown abort.??
    4. How to oraganize Archive Log files...? Do we need to delete it after Hot backup is successfully done for the database..? Or do we need to keep it always in its destination directory. Basically i may like to know that what should be the retention of Archive Log files if we are taking Hot Backup daily in the evening & almost 10-12 Archive log files are generated every day.
    5. If any point of time, if we shutdown the database and take COLD backup of all DBFs, Control Files, Log files etc. then is there any use of archive log files which was backed up earlier..Do we still need to keep them or not.?

Please help me. I am in the process of setting backup / recovery policy in my organization. At present i am trying to utilize RMAN for this and in future we may opt to use some third pary tool like Veritas or Open View etc. The answer my query will give me better understanding & help.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...eco.htm#443532

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...hredo.htm#4972

Never use "shutdown abort" in this case! Use shutdown immediate instead.

4. http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...hredo.htm#4972

5. if you have cold backup you don't need the archive logs.

Little advices:
    1. Read documentation properly.
    2. RMAN is best solution for you "problem", because you can schedule backup of archive logs only and all archive logs will bedeleted by RMAN after succesfull backup
    Last edited by ika; 04-12-04 at 08:48.

Hi Ika,
    Thanks for suggestion & link.

I will check out the documentation. Regarding shutdown command, yes..i know it the ABORT option is not recommended...but i could do anything with IMMEDIATE option. I waited for approx. 1 Hours and my DB Instance could not be shutdown. Thta's why i choose ABORT option.

Yes.. i am trying to implement RAMN only at present. I wanted to know till what time should i keep my archive log file...I think if we take cold backup then all previously archive log files are now of no use. Hope i am correct.

I can do my backup in this way: pls. suggest:

For Backup::

- FRom Monday through Saturday: Hot backup of database + archive log files & delete archive log files from destination
    - On Sunday (it is possible for me take 2 Hour DB Instance down on this day), taken cold backup and scratch all those tapes taken earlier as hot backup above from Monday through Saturday.

Is it OK...? Am i on right track or not..Pls. help.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR

Originally posted by RastogiKamesh
    Hi Ika,
    Thanks for suggestion & link.

I will check out the documentation. Regarding shutdown command, yes..i know it the ABORT option is not recommended...but i could do anything with IMMEDIATE option. I waited for approx. 1 Hours and my DB Instance could not be shutdown. Thta's why i choose ABORT option.

Yes.. i am trying to implement RAMN only at present. I wanted to know till what time should i keep my archive log file...I think if we take cold backup then all previously archive log files are now of no use. Hope i am correct.

I can do my backup in this way: pls. suggest:

For Backup::

- FRom Monday through Saturday: Hot backup of database + archive log files & delete archive log files from destination
    - On Sunday (it is possible for me take 2 Hour DB Instance down on this day), taken cold backup and scratch all those tapes taken earlier as hot backup above from Monday through Saturday.

Is it OK...? Am i on right track or not..Pls. help.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    1. Are you using MTS (shared server)? If so then after shutdown immediate command wait couple of seconds and then kill all shared server processes and then all dispatcher processes (at OS level). This will minimize the shutdown time.

2. Yes you are correct.

3. "I wanted to know till what time should i keep my archive log file" -
    - until next incremental or full backup (RMAN)
    - until next cold backup

I am using following backup strategy (With RMAN):
    My DB is large (approx. 250GB) and must have 24x7 avalaibity so in this case cold backup is not possible.

Every 2 hours - archive log backup (this is not true when full or incremental backups are performed)
    Sun (level 0 - full backup)
    Wed (level 2 - diff. incremental)
    Mon,Tue,Thu,Fri,Sat (level 1 - diff. incremental)

All my backups (except the archive logs backup) are performed during the night.

P.S: go to Database Administration Fundamentals II. course. It's a good starting point.