Unanswered: ORA-12571 Errors

We are currently running various VPN's running on Cisco equipment. One of our remote locations is having problems with intermittent ORA-12571 TNS: Packet Writer Failure errors while connected to Databases on our network.

They initially connect just fine but after some time they will get the Ora-12571 error. Sometimes it will run for hours just fine and other times a few minutes. This location is running on a DSL line but I have been monitering the line and there is not that much latency or dropped packets. The connections are to various DB's from various PC's as well.

Are SQLnet sessions susceptible to drops if there is network latency? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

When communicating via SQLNET over WAN , it is recommended to set TDU and SDU values (Transport layer and session layer data packet size ) to 8192 or something to match the underlying infrastructure. These have to be set in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora.
    Please search Metalink to see how to set TDU and SDU.
    Sudip Datta
    Server Technologies
    Oracle Corporation

Thanks for the Reply

[Thanks for the reply. According to what I have found on changing these entries they would need to be changed on the Database side as well as the client.

If they are changed on the DB side; does that mean all clients no matter where they are connecting from will need to make these changes as well? Also is this a common issue with running SQLNet across a WAN?

Thanks!

Eric