Question Unanswered: Combo Box Question

I have a table with zip code, city and county (because you can have multiple cities associated with one zip code). In a form, there is a lookup box to enter the zip code (actually, it saves the autonumber associated with each record, rather than the zip code itself) but the user views zip, city, and county. However, it won't let the user type in a partial zip and narrow down the list...for example, typing in 8002...to get 80021, 80022, 80023, etc. Instead, regardless of what is typed, it always shows the box starting with 80001.

Any ideas on how to change this to make it more user friendly?

Thanks a ton!

Susan

You can set up you combobox to view the list of post codes, and city. The key is the Bound Column for the combobox. In Access once you start to type in data into the combobox, it is autofilled. Make sure the Auto Expand property for the combobox is set to Yes.

CyberLynx,

Thanks for responding so quickly!!

But... - I'm still an access-baby, so I need a bit more help...

My box is bound to column 1, which is the auto number. The auto expand is yes...should it be bound to a different number? If so, then will it still capture the autonumber field?

Bind the ComboBox to whichever column holds the Postal Code.

When I do that, it doesn't work at all - In my address table, I only capture NameID, street and ZipID (the auto number that corresponds to the correct zip/city/state) Then when I pull a query, I tie it into the county list which holds the autonumber ZIPID, city, state, county. So, if I capture the zipcode, it can't determine which line to pull from. And if I don't capture the zip code, it seems that I can't type a partial zip code to minimize the search. Anyone have more ideas for me?

It's not the bound column which determines which column is used by the AutoExpand functionality. It is the first visible column. So if your first column is the bound column and your second column is the ZIP, make the ColumnCount=2 and the ColumnWidths=0;1.
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

I stand corrected...

You guys are the best!!! Thank you a ton for your help - now it works great!!!!!