Unanswered: simple .. msgbox in excel

hi ya all,

I've got something which seems to be an easy question. I want to display a msgbox within excel invoked by an access routine. The point is .. msgbox doesn't seem to be an application function like e.g. inputbox is. so any ideas how to do that?

thanks
    bachatero

You are wanting to Open and excel document, and then pop up a msgbox? And of course you are wanting to automate this from Access?

(I am not quite understanding your question).

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Originally posted by JSThePatriot
    You are wanting to Open and excel document, and then pop up a msgbox? And of course you are wanting to automate this from Access?

(I am not quite understanding your question).

JS
    yep .. that's what i already do. i open an excel-spreadsheet from an access application to write a whole lot of data to it. the point is .. i ask the user for some parameter while excel is displayed (this works just fine with xlApp.inputbox(.. ) but there is one point where i just want to show an msgbox within excel .. something like xpApp.MsgBox("Hello") but for some strange reason msgbox is not a method of the excel application object .

Okay let me see what I can find... I have a button that opens an excel document as well. I will see what I can find.

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Hmm... I cant seem to find anything much... have you tried just making a msgbox for access? will that pop up over the excel or something? Or maybe move the app focus to access pop the msg and move focus back to the excel.

I am going to try and just pop a msg in access after I open my xls

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

That didnt work well. :-/ It just left it in access and left the window focus on excel.

May I ask why you need this pop up?

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Originally posted by JSThePatriot
    That didnt work well. :-/ It just left it in access and left the window focus on excel.

May I ask why you need this pop up?

JS
    exactly .. the msg opens in access while it doesn't has the focus .. you hear a little bang .. that's all.

there are for sure ways to avoid the msg pop in excel, i was only looking for a way to avoid that.

the message might pop up in the progress if some of the data are slightly corrupt giving the user the choice to continue or not. no big deal in general .. just a vbYesNo

Is it set up as a new spreadsheet in excel? You can write vb in excel and get a message box, very similar to in access. If you're writing to an existing spreadsheet, you could link the code to that spreadsheet - might be harder if you're opening a new spreadsheet. Maybe you could do it two steps...open an exisiting sheet, which will then write code in excel for the new sheet. would that work?

Originally posted by mommyof4
    Is it set up as a new spreadsheet in excel? You can write vb in excel and get a message box, very similar to in access. If you're writing to an existing spreadsheet, you could link the code to that spreadsheet - might be harder if you're opening a new spreadsheet. Maybe you could do it two steps...open an exisiting sheet, which will then write code in excel for the new sheet. would that work?
    sorry for the delay .. was thinking about a similar solution already .. might go that way .. though in any way it seems to be a fairly complicated thing .. I will try .. thanks anyway

cheers