Unanswered: Sybase Interfaces problem

Our application is giving the following error whenever the interfaces file is overwritten when its being run in the background -

DATABASE ERROR:: Unable to close interfaces file.
    DATABASE ERROR:: Stale NFS file handle

The error was not there when Sybase 12.0 was running on Unix 2.6. Now its running on Unix 2.8. Has anything changed in the Sybase Unix interface libraries for v2.8?

Can you pls. provide more detail? Why is the interfaces file overwritten by the application???

I'd do an fuser -fu on the interfaces to check who or what has open handles on this file.

Originally posted by mkalsi
    Can you pls. provide more detail? Why is the interfaces file overwritten by the application???
    The interfaces file is being overwritten by another event in the background. The application has a handle to the interfaces file. The error is happening once the app was migrated to Unix 2.8

Not sure why there is already a stale open handle. You should be able to clear this using fuser -ku on the interfaces file.

More info an client application

I am having the same problem. Do you use DBLIB or CTLIB from your application? Is it a PERL app, C++ program or other?

I am using DBLIB from PERL and experiencing the exact same error when our interfaces file is updated while the app is running.

I am using DBLIB from PERL and experiencing the exact same error when our interfaces file is updated while the app is running. How to resolve this issue

From the posts, it looks like whoever is having problems has somewhat an fopen (in c terms) on the file. And theres some kind of mechanism from the dba infrastructure side which refreshes your interfaces file on a periodic basis.

Is this true? If it is, are u closing the file properly once you read it from perl or whatever program? Theres no need for you to keep the file open after u r done with what you want to know.
    Last edited by trvishi; 06-03-09 at 17:27.