Question Unanswered: SQL Desktop Edition sa password thingy stopping install on XP home

Help,

the installation process stops almost immediately telling me I need a superduper secure password thingy but when I try the command prompts suggested they don't work... I'm on XP home.

while very funny, "Thingy" is probably not in the error message.

what is the exact error you are getting ?

ok

Thanks- it wasn't a technical error message- just a box that appeared saying I needed to switch to an sapwd and said the installation program would now close and to read the read me file which didn't say much that made any sense to me- it assumed I already am an expert or something- is it that I need to change my winXP logon password or ? I actually deleted the whole program from my system as it seems such a hassle just to try and install it. I guess I was hoping for something that was easy to use! Maybe it's back to Access with it's built-in GUI.

i'm not familiar with this problem but i have always loaded enterprise edition or the developer edition
    if this is a MSDE that might explain it. OR a newer edition post SP3 containing the requirement for the sa account to have a password

enough waffling

it is quite possible that SQL is asking you for an sa password because your version of windows is the home edition and it requires administrative rights to install. and as is usually the case your user account is not admin.
    so i would try the following
    1 log onto the computer as the administrator account
    2 try the install again
    3 if it asks you for the sa password again just leave that field blank as initialy the sa account has no password
    4 if you can then get into SQL server, open up books online (in the start menu folder) and have it open whenever you use sql server.

Thanks again- as you surmised, it is indeed both "MSDE" and SP3 containing the requirement for the sa account to have a password.

The problem is it's not even letting me install the program at all- it just closes before it even starts after telling me my password isn't up to snuff. I am logged onto XP home as the admin. Is there supposed to be an "sa account" already on my system?

no there isnt but i would really like to have the exact wording of the error so i can properly address it

think about doing it

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I tried again and this is exactly what it says:

"A strong SA password is required for security reasons. Please use SAPWD switch to supply the same. Refer to readme for more details. Setup will now exit."

this means that you should call the setup.exe file from the run command and add a switch (an optional command) to cause the installation to vary from the norm

here is a link to a archived forum with a possible solution.
    MSDE INSTALL REQUIRES SA PASSWORD

ps
    i dont want to sound like a nagging wife BUT when an error message is specific enough to indicate that the answer is in the readme.txt file
    you should read it.
    it should be in the directory that the setup.exe is located in.
    Last edited by Ruprect; 04-14-04 at 02:44.

Thanks a bunch- that helps. No worries about nagging- I did read the readme but the references there were cryptic to me- your answer was very succinct and much clearer. I really didn't know what the readme was talking about. Thanks again.

no problem
    good luck

From ReadmeMSDE2000A.htm

3.4.2 Security Considerations for MSDE 2000 Release A
    "By default, Desktop Engine Setup.exe will not install a new instance of MSDE 2000 unless you use the SAPWD parameter to specify a strong sa password. You should always assign a strong password to the sa login unless the application using your instance of MSDE depends in some way on a null sa password. Even if the instance of MSDE 2000 is using Windows Authentication, the sa login becomes immediately active if the instance is ever switched to Mixed Mode. A null, blank, simple, or well-known sa password could be used for unauthorized access"

3.4.3 MSDE 2000 Setup Parameters
    This example creates a log file, MSDELog.log, in the root folder of the C: drive:

setup SAPWD="AStrongSAPassword" /L*v C:/MSDELog.log

Greek to me

I don't understand any of that... a guy is building a database for me to use for research and told me to install this program so I can run it. I thought it would be as easy as installing any other program but for whatever reason I need to reprogram all sorts of stuff and it doesn't make sense to me.