Unanswered: pdf documents in access

My users are wanting me to create a form that they can scan documents to and store in the database. I was wonder how I can scan them in pdf format and how to make the scanner scan the documents to the form. I dont have alot of experience with VB took some classes but I am by no means an expert. Can someone help me please

You will need something like adobe acrobat capture to scan hardcopy documents into pdf format. check out www.adobe.com.

How accurate it is I couldn't tell you but personally I've never had much luck with OCR software.

Perhaps your users don't require a database but rather a larger filing cabinet?

Originally posted by trager
    You will need something like adobe acrobat capture to scan hardcopy documents into pdf format. check out www.adobe.com.

How accurate it is I couldn't tell you but personally I've never had much luck with OCR software.

Perhaps your users don't require a database but rather a larger filing cabinet?
    No we want to be able to set up a form in access that they can look at the employee files through pdf format. I am trying to make our scanner scan pdf documents to a form in our database, I was hoping for some advice on how to go about doing this

I am taking it the PDF documents are in paper form? I think this would be easier if you could get ahold of a digital copy of them.

If you cant then I would have to say you will have to scan them in, and if you dont have OCR software installed it will be nothing but a big picture which isnt hard to link to in access.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Originally posted by JSThePatriot
    I am taking it the PDF documents are in paper form? I think this would be easier if you could get ahold of a digital copy of them.

If you cant then I would have to say you will have to scan them in, and if you dont have OCR software installed it will be nothing but a big picture which isnt hard to link to in access.

JS
    Yes the idea was for us to scan them directly in a form located in the database (like a personal file) so that we can have an online copy as well as a hardcopy

Hmm I dont know of any scanner software allowing integration with access... maybe someone else will be able to help.

Sorry,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

1. there are tons of OCR tools for scanning into PDF. I guess the best is Omnipage14 from www.scansoft.com

there are also scanning APIs, but it's expensive..... don't store PDFs in MDBs... it's too huge

2. You need some kind of PDF OCX which you can just put on your form.... search google for "PDF viewer ActiveX control"

jiri

Rather than storing the pdfs in the database just store hyperlinks to each pdf file in an index table to the employee table.

/agree with trager

I have a separate "build rules" table that just sets up a hyperlink for the file. Seems to be the best way in my opinion.