Question Unanswered: how to disable the startup macro?!

Dear Forum folks,

This is probably a silly and easy question. I have not used ms Access since version 97, but now I'm doing a side project in Access 2003. I now have hit a sort of stumble - I cannot get my TOOLS back!

OK, I built a database with a main form, which I want to be visible at startup for the user(s). I wanted only this form visible, with no Tools or edit windows or anything. So, I went to MACRO and STARTUP, and unchecked the appropriate things and set my form "ClientForm" to be shown at startup.

It works fine... when I open the file, only my ClientForm is there.

And this is the problem! Now I want to continue editing and building other tools, and I can't get around my startup macro!

In the old 97 database, you held the SHIFT key, double-clicked the .mdb file, and it'd open up with all the normal tools. Now this is not working. Is something wrong? How do I open my db with Tools and everything enabled?

Thanks for any help, sorry if it's a "newbie" question.

- james

Do you even have the File Menu bar? I think the Shift Key is supposed to do the same thing.

Let me know if you have any of the File Menu Bar. I may know a couple of ways around it.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

the menu I have

When I open my clients.mdb, I have the following at the top:

File Edit Insert Records Window Help

The TOOLS and any button that would allow me to make changes to tables or forms or anything are all gone. This happens whether I hold SHIFT or not.

Thanks for your help! I hope there's a solution.

- jam

Try holding ctrl.

Is there anyway you could post the database? I think I may be able to get something for you but, it is hard to explain.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Re: the menu I have

Hold the SHIFT button down while opening the database. Then go to Tools>Startup and check the menus you want to see from now on. Once checked, you can open the database with the menus from now on.

This feature is used when you have an application you want to protect others from changing.

Cheers!
    Doug
    Doug

similarly, you can right click on the actual file, and click "Open" while holding the shift key. Hold the shift key until it is finished opening.

sneaky little sucker!

Well I'll be darned!

I wasn't holding Shift LONG enough!!

See, I was holding SHIFT, double-clicking the file, or right-click and opening the file, then releasing SHIFT before it was completely opened!

I just tried it, continuing to hold shift until after it was totally opened, and my TOOLS are back.

I knew it was something so simple and trivial.

Thanks very much guys!

- james