Unanswered: unix script passing sql value

Hi, I am running DB2 UDB 7.2. I need to write a unix .ksh script that logs into db2, selects the minimum and maximum values from a certain database column, then logs out of db2 and passes this value as a command line argument when executing another program.

The min and max values will need to have a dash in between (something like this: 1000-5000)

Anyone have opinions on how to do this? I'm a little unsure if maybe I should write the value to a file, or if i can do it on the fly, and if a stored proc needs to come into play.

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks

Re: unix script passing sql value

Are you expecting something like this :

#!/bin/ksh
    set -x
    db2 "connect to sample"
    db2 -x select min\(salary\),max\(salary\) from employee | read minsal maxsal
    b.ksh $minsal"-"$maxsal

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 04-14-04 at 18:32.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Provided Answers: 1

Originally posted by tylerr
    Hi, I am running DB2 UDB 7.2. I need to write a unix .ksh script that logs into db2, selects the minimum and maximum values from a certain database column, then logs out of db2 and passes this value as a command line argument when executing another program.

The min and max values will need to have a dash in between (something like this: 1000-5000)

Anyone have opinions on how to do this? I'm a little unsure if maybe I should write the value to a file, or if i can do it on the fly, and if a stored proc needs to come into play.

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Code:
    db2 -x "SELECT RTRIM(CHAR(MIN(COLUMN))) || '-' || LTRIM(CHAR(MAX(COLUMN))) FROM TABLE"

Guys, thanks for your help. Sathyaram, thats pretty much right on. I just didn't know how to save the min and max salaries and pass them on. Your post cleared this up. Thanks

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Are you expecting something like this :

#!/bin/ksh
    set -x
    db2 "connect to sample"
    db2 -x select min\(salary\),max\(salary\) from employee | read minsal maxsal
    b.ksh $minsal"-"$maxsal

Cheers
    Sathyaram