Unanswered: Subqueries with EXISTS

Hello,
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the following sql statements:

update aaron_table set user_dept='OK' where exists (select user_login,user_name from users where aaron_table.user_login=users.user_login and aaron_table.user_name=users.user_name)

update aaron_table set user_dept='OK' where exists (select user_login from users where aaron_table.user_login=users.user_login and aaron_table.user_name=users.user_name)

update aaron_table set user_dept='OK' where exists (select * from users where aaron_table.user_login=users.user_login and aaron_table.user_name=users.user_name)

Is there a difference in what is returned depending on the column of the subselect or do all 3 generally produce the same results. I have seen a considerable perfromace increase by avoiding the '*' usage in Oracle. Oracle will allow multiple columns in subquery select list whereas Sybase will not. Trying to find the happy medium!

Thank You

From what I can see quickly (it's rather late now in The Netherlands) these 3 queries will give the same results.
    A common practice is to use 'where exists (select 1 from tablename etc...)'
    You just have to determine whether the (sub)selection gives results, not select all kinds of columns from it.

Right, with an exists, you're just expecting TRUE (I found at least one record) or FALSE (no records found).

-cf

Re: Subqueries with EXISTS

Originally posted by newjuicer
    Hello,
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the following sql statements:

update aaron_table set user_dept='OK' where exists (select user_login,user_name from users where aaron_table.user_login=users.user_login and aaron_table.user_name=users.user_name)

update aaron_table set user_dept='OK' where exists (select user_login from users where aaron_table.user_login=users.user_login and aaron_table.user_name=users.user_name)

update aaron_table set user_dept='OK' where exists (select * from users where aaron_table.user_login=users.user_login and aaron_table.user_name=users.user_name)

Is there a difference in what is returned depending on the column of the subselect or do all 3 generally produce the same results. I have seen a considerable perfromace increase by avoiding the '*' usage in Oracle. Oracle will allow multiple columns in subquery select list whereas Sybase will not. Trying to find the happy medium!

Thank You
    Dont waste ur energy by selecting many columns when you are using exists because exists check just two conditions; ie whether the subquery returned any value or not.
    Thanks and Regards,

Praveen Pulikunnu