Unanswered: Reorder data driven items

Hello there,

I am converting an old mainframe application to asp/sql but there is some functionality in the old app that I do not know how to replicate. If the user is in edit mode of an estimate, they can actually insert a new line where they want it and add another item to the order. In the conversion I was thinking of giving them a way to add an item to the estimate, then re-order the items as they would like them, but I don't know how to do that and I can't seem to find anything to suit my needs in any of my favorite asp sites.

http://www.insidedhtml.com/tips/elements/ts32/page1.asp

This is the closest thing I've found but I can't figure out how to work my recordset into it and I don't know javascript very well at all.

If anybody has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks.

Okie,... basically I would do it using DHTML (effectively Javascript referencing the DOM model). It would be relatively easy providing you didn't have top worry too much about supporting different browsers....

You could do it in straight ASP, but you would have to submit back to the server whenever you moved/reordered a record and that might not work for you (eg. the response time might be too slow).

Let me know what you would like to try....

Thanks, Rokslide. I would prefer ASP because I know very little Javascript however the browser type is not an issue, so if you think DHTML is the way to go... It's an intranet application and everybody has IE 6.0.

I tried to modify the example I provided the link for but couldn't figure out how to populate the listbox (javascript ignorance again )

I really don't know where to start, though. Do you have any thoughts? Thanks.