Thread: Database Error

Unanswered: Database Error

I have created a database importing some table and forms from my other databases. After importing, I closed the DB and try to open it up again. Instead, I got this error:

"The Microsoft Jet Engine could not find the object 'Databases'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly."

Does anybody knows whats going on? I just try to double click the file name and try to open it manually form Access itself (Access 97).

Thanks for any help.

ESM

I believe that you'll find it has to do with Visual Basic libraries that must be "registered." The various pieces of VB that actually define object-types such as 'Database' are now loosely-coupled to the VB for Apps core and can become disconnected... I'd look at http://support.microsoft.com
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

I did not find any answer to the MS Knowledge base. I tried compacting and repairing the DB but it would not allow me to do it. Any other idea what is happening?

Go to the Visual Basic Editor and look at you library references. You are probably missing the library for DAO, search through it and select the most current "Microsoft DAO Object Library"

S-

The problem is I could not even open it not even holding the ship key. I just basically got the error message when double clicking or opening the file, so I could not go to any visual basic reference at all if tha is what you meant. Thanks.

Database Error

Sounds serious if you can't even open the database. A method that's been tried a few times in other situations, is to create a blank database and then import everything from the database you can't open into it. It sounds, though, like even this won't work and your dataase is very corrupted. There is code somewhere to compact and repair a database through code, from another databae, but I think this is only for Access 2000 and above. I'll have to look for that though as it's not something I've thought about using.

Have you tried opening it a second time with the left shift key down - I have written code that protects a database from the left shift key being held down, and is deactivated with the correct user name, but it only function on the second access of that user name.

Good luck.

It's a long shot, but here's an odd thing to try:

Rename the database so that the filename is 8.3 compliant, and use a different name than "Database".

We had a situation where an mdb would not open on certain workstations, and the error message was "...couldn't find..."

We renamed it to 8 characters with no spaces and the error has gone away.

I did try renaming the database to comply with the old DOS format of 8.3 but still the same thing. Then I tried to import the tables and forms inside to a blank DB, but it still not allowing me to do anything. I could not post a copy of the database because of the sensitive data in the DB, but here is the error message. If things don't work, I migth just re-create everything from scratch. Thanks for all the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files