Unanswered: Use batch File to update SQL

Ok.. I thought I could do this but I can't get this to work.. I need to create a batch file to run an sql update statement.. This is simple but I can't get it to wortk.. How do I do it?

Re: Use batch File to update SQL

Originally posted by kledford
    Ok.. I thought I could do this but I can't get this to work.. I need to create a batch file to run an sql update statement.. This is simple but I can't get it to wortk.. How do I do it?
    Use osql.

osql /U alma /P mypassword /i titles.qry

If you can use trusted security replace the /U and /P with /E.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

a common way to use the osql is to create a script (*.sql File) that contains the TSQL Statement that you want to execute.
    then you should call that script as an input file and you should define an output file
    the final thing you should think about is who is going to run the statement is it going to be an SQL Login or will it be run by a Windows Login?
    then place the entire statement into a windows batch file and it's a double click away.

the switches are the ones specified above by derrickleggett
    (by the way they are case sensitive)

[Books Online] OSQL

Provided Answers: 54
    This suggestions is half facetious, half for real. Learn Perl.

Perl comes on the Windows 2000 Resource Kit CD. Perl is also available for free download at Perl.org.

Perl has become the mother of all scripting languages on the net. It runs on most server platforms. Including: Z-OS for mainframes, most flavors of Windows, most flavors of Unix, and every flavor of Linux I've ever used.

It does ODBC, uses many of the Windows bells and whistles, parses files (the pattern matching makes C# look like a cheap toy). There are mountains of free scripts available to do positively amazing things.

Oh yeah, I kinda like Perl too.

-PatP

Re: Use batch File to update SQL

Originally posted by kledford

Perl?

Facetious?

PERL!!?!!?

RDJABAROV!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!