Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perl modules ?

Question Unanswered: Perl modules ?

I have difficulties in installing Perl modules. Can someone explain to me ?

http://cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#H...l_Perl_modules

Everything you ever wanted to know.

Unhappy still problem

Originally posted by codyhess
    http://cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#H...l_Perl_modules

Everything you ever wanted to know.

I have installed the GD::Graph module and I don't know whether it works or not coz i have an error like below:

Software error:
    Can't locate loadable object for module GD in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .) at C:/Perl/lib/GD/Graph.pm line 38
    Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/lib/GD/Graph.pm line 38.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/GD/Graph.pm line 38.
    Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/lib/GD/Graph/axestype.pm line 18.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/GD/Graph/axestype.pm line 18.
    Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/lib/GD/Graph/bars.pm line 18.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/GD/Graph/bars.pm line 18.
    Compilation failed in require at c:\PROGRA~1\APACHE~1\apache\cgi-bin\upsr\REGIST~1.CGI line 8.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\PROGRA~1\APACHE~1\apache\cgi-bin\upsr\REGIST~1.CGI line 8.

I really dont know how should I solve this problem. Someone please help...

Have you installed libgd? If you, is LIBPATH set to wherever libdg is installed?

where ?

Originally posted by codyhess
    Have you installed libgd? If you, is LIBPATH set to wherever libdg is installed?
    where do i get this libgd ? the path for the Perl execution is C:\Perl\lib and C:\Perl\site\lib. How do i use this libgd ?

Maybe you will find the right thing here: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...ery=libgd.so.1
    board.perl-community.de - The German Perl-Community

rpm won't help much on windows

if you're using activestate, use ppm to install the modules

ppm install gd
    or
    ppm3 install gd

should do the trick, but I don't have a windows box handy to check.

you can read about ppm at
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/doc...Perl-faq2.html
    perl -le 'print reverse reverse "just another perl hacker"'
    wush.net subversion hosting - remote hosted revision control with easy admin, ssl security & backups

not using activestate

Originally posted by mkc
    rpm won't help much on windows

if you're using activestate, use ppm to install the modules

ppm install gd
    or
    ppm3 install gd

should do the trick, but I don't have a windows box handy to check.

you can read about ppm at
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/doc...Perl-faq2.html

thanks for all the reply...i appreciated them very much...but i am not using activestate...im just using a normal Perl interpreter, which is an executable file contain in C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe...so, i really dont know how should i install this gd and i dont even know whether do i have the latest libgd or not, as i do not know where to check this libgd. I put the GD.pm in the lib and site lib folder, but still, cannot work and get the same software error message.

most people using perl on windows are using activestate. check for a ppm.bat file in c:\perl\bin

the binary for windows linked from perl.com is the activestate build.

if you didn't use activestate, then you are probably using cygwin. in that case, you should be able to do the normal
    perl -MCPAN -e 'install GD"
    and have it work assuming you set up a reasonably complete system.
    perl -le 'print reverse reverse "just another perl hacker"'
    wush.net subversion hosting - remote hosted revision control with easy admin, ssl security & backups

Make sure that the perl in your path is the same perl you have on your kerbang lines in your scipts. if they are not the same, your perl modules will get installed in the wrong location on machines with more than one instance of Perl.

That being said, libgd can be a beast to install. I did it on an HP-UX in 64 bit. The Perl GD modules sit on top of this library, regardless if you are using UNIX or Windows, so it is vital that you get libgd working first. perhaps with Win32 there is a binary for libgd.
    Last edited by jgeniec; 04-19-04 at 16:58.

Unhappy still cannot

Originally posted by jgeniec
    Make sure that the perl in your path is the same perl you have on your kerbang lines in your scipts. if they are not the same, your perl modules will get installed in the wrong location on machines with more than one instance of Perl.

That being said, libgd can be a beast to install. I did it on an HP-UX in 64 bit. The Perl GD modules sit on top of this library, regardless if you are using UNIX or Windows, so it is vital that you get libgd working first. perhaps with Win32 there is a binary for libgd.
    thanks again for the replies. I found that it is so hard to install just a module, not to mention more than one. I still have difficulties in installing GD module. I have tried what u guys have asked me to do, but still dont seem to work. I have no idea abt this. I am desperately needing to install GD module to draw charts for my web pages.
    When I used the 'ppm install gd' approach, it said 'cannot connet to ActiveState:80', but eventually, i have my connection connected to the internet. As for the libgd, i have looked at the website, but i dont know which should i install. I dont even know where does the libgd sits now in my Perl path. (

Unhappy ...

i have even downloaded the libgd.rpm and I am not sure where should i put it. Should i execute it ? or where should i place it ? my path for Perl is C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe

Re: ...

Originally posted by stevencl2000
    i have even downloaded the libgd.rpm and I am not sure where should i put it. Should i execute it ? or where should i place it ? my path for Perl is C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
    First of all, which Perl are you using? What site did you get it from? Then we can figure out the specifics. I have ActivePerl on my Win32 machine, but it sounds as if you have something different.

First of all, which Perl are you using? What site did you get it from? Then we can figure out the specifics. I have ActivePerl on my Win32 machine, but it sounds as if you have something different.
    This Perl was installed by previous programmer. But i really dont know how to check which Perl im using, but i think it should be ActivePerl as I have ppm.bat in my bin directory.

Originally posted by stevencl2000
    This Perl was installed by previous programmer. But i really dont know how to check which Perl im using, but i think it should be ActivePerl as I have ppm.bat in my bin directory.
    I've never gotten GD and libgd to work on win32, but it looks as if what you want is here:

http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/gdwin32.zip (for the bgd.dll Win32 DLL)

Extract it, and put the extracted directory in a place of your choosing. Do not blow this away, b/c it will be the permanent residence of your dll.

Now get: http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/GD/ (for Perl's GD.pm. Choose the PKZIP download)

Extract it, and put it in another place of your choosing.

Then goto a Windows commandline. cd to the directory where you extracted the GD.pm stuff. Run: "perl Makefile.PL" You need perl in your path to get this command to run. If it isn't, put it there.

When this runs, it will ask where you put the gd library. For me it was: H:\libgd\gdwin32. For you it will be wherever you put it.

This will get you at least part of the way there... I'm having problems getting it to fully work on win32 myself as I speak, but these are the first steps. For win32 you may need to get libpng and a couple of other libs as well as libgd. I'd have to play with it more to figure out what exactly it wants.

Once you get this part to work without errors, you then need to run from the command line "make" then "make test" then "make install".

More later, if I figure anything else out.

Joe