Unanswered: DB copy using backups; tempdb on diff. drive

I'm having difficulties copying a production DB to a new computer using backup files. The production computer had tempdb on the D: drive, the new computer is much smaller and only has a C: drive. I've successfully restored the Master DB backup but now the database will only start with the (-F) parameter. I know how to Alter the DB to move the tempdb, but I cann't get the DB to start while Tempdb is pointed to the D: drive

That's because you are using the original master db which keeps the tempdb data and log file path in it's sysdatabases table. You need to modify the table and change C:\ to D:\ in the path before you back up master and restore it on the destination server.

Provided Answers: 54

Re: DB copy using backups; tempdb on diff. drive

Originally posted by rfalor
    I'm having difficulties copying a production DB to a new computer using backup files. The production computer had tempdb on the D: drive, the new computer is much smaller and only has a C: drive. I've successfully restored the Master DB backup but now the database will only start with the (-F) parameter. I know how to Alter the DB to move the tempdb, but I cann't get the DB to start while Tempdb is pointed to the D: drive
    While using the -F option to start the server, you should be able to use Example I to move tempdb.

-PatP

His problem is the SQL server can't even start due to incorrect tempdb path. Your solution works only when sql server is started.

Provided Answers: 54
    At least as I read his first post, he can start SQL Server using the -F parameter. Did I miss something?

-PatP

Thanks for the replies; Starting the DB with the -f parameter allowed me to change the location of tempdb, then restart the database normally.