We have a few developers that use Oracle 9i (9.2.0.4.0) on their personal workstations for testing purposes.

Recently, weve made the decision to upgrade them to WinXP so that they are able to use some other functionalities of

the OS, but we are running into a totally odd problem with Oracle. It seems that, Installing Oracle runs just fine,

and our ant scripts to build the database work well...but when we reboot the computer, the database refuses to run

as a Local Service, and instead will only come up when you give it a domain account to use to start up. I'm hoping

someone here has seen this. Here is an excerpt of a e-mail I sent to managers, edited for public posting.

We use Windows XP Service Pack 1 in a Mixed-mode Active Directory infrastructure.

-------------------------------

I un-installed and cleaned (via docs given to me by Beth) both COMPUTER1 and COMPUTER2.

COMPUTER1 was not having issues.
COMPUTER2 refused to connect using sqlplus unless a domain account was specified as a startup account.

I installed both as the local named administrator. (COMPUTER\Administrator)

Both were installed via network shared files. And, over terminal services, I might add. No issues.

After the ant scripts were run, both immediately were able to connect using sqlplus both locally and via the

listener. The only issue that the ant scripts ran into is that the C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.org file

had listed DCEP.DOMAIN.COM instead of DCEP.HOST.DOMAIN.COM on both machines after running create-9i-database. This

was manually fixed before running create-common-objects and create-all objects.

After a reboot, COMPUTER1 was still able to connect, but COMPUTER2 threw the following errors:

----------------------------------------------------
P:\>sqlplus COMPUTER2/COMPUTER2

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Apr 15 18:40:00 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Enter user-name: COMPUTER2
Enter password:
ERROR:

Enter user-name: ^C
P:\>sqlplus COMPUTER2/COMPUTER2@dcep.COMPUTER2.domain.com

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Apr 15 18:40:35 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:

Enter user-name:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then changed the OracleServiceDCEP service to start using my login. On a restart, I was able to use sqlplus as

expected. Changes to the OracleOraHome92TNSListener service had no effect either way, and functioned fine under

either login type. (Local Service, named account.)

Setting the DCEP service to use .\oracle resulted in the following after using sqlplus:
ERROR:
ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed

.\oracle is a local, privileged (Admin) account with "Log on as a Service" rights.

Setting it back to my domain account resulted in immediate functionality.

I am at the end of my rope. I've installed two machines, using local admin accounts, *exactly* the same, and got

different results. I have this process near memorized, and I have my install steps completely documented.I could

near install this with my eyes closed.