Red face Unanswered: SQL2K - database restore

Hello,

I had a peculiar problem yesterday with SQLserver2000 database restore from one server to the other. I copied the .BAK file ( 11.2 GB) from source server to target server. Target server already had the same name database. I use SEM to do restore the database using the disk file .BAK as source to restore. The NT drive space was 13.5 GB available after copying. Restore failed with an error that not enough disk space is available to restore and it needs 23 GB of space for expansion. What does it mean? The database went into "Loading" state and it got corrupted. I tried to drop the database and cleared the DBF and LDF files on the drive and again tried to restore from .BAK file but it failed again with the same error message that not enough space is available for expansion. Now I do not have the original database or am not able to build the new database.

Finally I did attach/detach methods where I could bring back the database in running state.

What is it complaining about not enough space? Why did it ask for almost 100% more space for some expansion in restore process?
    Why it did not fail when doing attach/detach methods from other server.

Any valid explanation is appreciated.

Vinnie

Backup file size is not the same as the size of database because backup does not include unused space. Database size is 23GB and is about half used. Attach works because you have 24.7GB on target, but restore does not because the copy of backup file is on same volume and leaves only 13.5GB available disk space.
    Hans.

Re: SQL2K - database restore

You can also restore from the source server without copying the .bak file.

restore database xxx from disk = '\\sourcecomputer\backup\xxx.bak' with replace, move 'xxx_data' to 'd:\xxx_data.mdf', move 'xxx_log' to 'e:\xxx_log.ldf', recovery

Originally posted by vkaramched
    Hello,

I had a peculiar problem yesterday with SQLserver2000 database restore from one server to the other. I copied the .BAK file ( 11.2 GB) from source server to target server. Target server already had the same name database. I use SEM to do restore the database using the disk file .BAK as source to restore. The NT drive space was 13.5 GB available after copying. Restore failed with an error that not enough disk space is available to restore and it needs 23 GB of space for expansion. What does it mean? The database went into "Loading" state and it got corrupted. I tried to drop the database and cleared the DBF and LDF files on the drive and again tried to restore from .BAK file but it failed again with the same error message that not enough space is available for expansion. Now I do not have the original database or am not able to build the new database.

Finally I did attach/detach methods where I could bring back the database in running state.

What is it complaining about not enough space? Why did it ask for almost 100% more space for some expansion in restore process?
    Why it did not fail when doing attach/detach methods from other server.

Any valid explanation is appreciated.

Vinnie