Thread: Database Size

Unanswered: Database Size

I have a little over 1300 products in my database at this time. I have read posts from other ASP database owners stating that their database is "overloaded" and therefore is running very slow. Does anyone know the approximate max. size that an ASP database can be without getting overloaded? Thx!

Post ...

Call me crazy, but I have never heard of an "ASP DATABASE". Do you mean Sql Server, Access, MySql, or something else? If so, you shoud post this qeustion on those forums.

This is for ASP, a programming scripting language. I am sorry if I am a little harsh, but I see alot of non-ASP questions on this forum.

~Le

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. It is an Access database (uses active server pages). I will find the correct forum for this. Thx

Originally posted by 1234
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. It is an Access database (uses active server pages). I will find the correct forum for this. Thx
    Hi,

You'll be fine with Access database having 1300 products, if there aren't too many concurrent users connecting to it.

Wink

Thanks very much! I'm about to add a few hundred more, just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to overload it.

If you start getting many concurrent users then you can easily upsize it to SQL Server database

my hosting supports

MySQL (Windows)
    MS Access (Windows)

does this mean that it is sql server?

is Mysql for windows is Sql server?

can someone just give me a little assistance in defining what is and the difference between

-ms Access DB with and without dsn connection
    - MySQL Windows

im looking at getting a client portal created (with many users) that needs to be fast and reliable, not crash etc. Given my hosting support, what would be the best option for me

thanks heaps for helping me out on this one

Oscillate,

MS SQL Server 2000 is an enterprise database, which is suitable for websites with high traffic requirements and for transactional Ecommerce websites as well.

MySQL is an open source database (it has versions for both Linux and Windows) and it's not the same thing like MS SQL Server 2000. MS SQL Server 2000 is much better option as a database solution.

MS Access should be your last choice for a web database, as it's designed primary as a desktop databasea dn can't handle many concurrent users.

I would recommend to use SQL Server 2000 for your portal if you're expect to have many concurrent users and if you expect top performance and reliability.

I hope this helps.