Unanswered: code help.. thanks

I have a query.. that I'm trying to get on my form behind a button..

On a SQL query the code looks like so..
    Code:
    SELECT Count(tblInspections.FLT) AS CountOfFLT, Left([FLT],2) AS FaultType, tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description, tblInspections.CRT
    FROM tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES INNER JOIN (tblInspections INNER JOIN tblQR ON (tblInspections.strProject = tblQR.strProject) AND (tblInspections.strArea = tblQR.strArea) AND (tblInspections.strReference = tblQR.strReference)) ON tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Code = tblInspections.FLT
    WHERE (((Trim([tblInspections].[FLT]) & '')<>''))
    GROUP BY Left([FLT],2), tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description, tblInspections.CRT;
    I'm trying to add that code to a button on a form...

Code:
    sqlString = "SELECT Count(tblInspections.FLT) AS CountOfFLT, Left([FLT],2) AS FaultType, tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description, tblInspections.CRT FROM tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES INNER JOIN (tblInspections INNER JOIN tblQR ON (tblInspections.strProject = tblQR.strProject) AND (tblInspections.strArea = tblQR.strArea) AND (tblInspections.strReference = tblQR.strReference)) ON tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Code = tblInspections.FLT WHERE (trim(tblInspections.FLT) & ''<>'') " & sqlString & " GROUP BY Left([FLT],2), tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description, tblInspections.CRT;"
    I get an error there.. that says..

Syntax error missing operator in query expression '(trim(tblInspections.FLT) & "<>") tblInspections.CRT='05".

I don't understand why im getting this error..or how to fix it..

thanks for any suggestions..

I tried..

Provided Answers: 1
    You have a poorly formed statement... try this:

... (trim(tblInspections.FLT) <> '" & sqlString & "') GROUP BY ..."

Also, am I correct in assuming that prior to executing this code, sqlString has been assigned a cstring for comparison?

I get a different error this time...

Syntax error..
    '(trim(tblInspections.FLT) <>' tblInspections.CRT='05")'

thanks for your help..

tblInspections.CRT='05

What is that? Where does that come from?

I think you have code prior to setting your sqlstring that is borking.
    Last edited by Teddy; 04-16-04 at 17:20.

I'm sorry let me post the entire code...

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Command4_Click()
    Dim sqlString As String
    sqlString = ""

If Not (IsNull(Me.txtStartOpen3) Or IsNull(Me.txtStartEnd3)) Then
    sqlString = "AND tblInspections.strDate Between #" & Me.txtStartOpen3 & "# And #" & Me.txtStartEnd3 & "#"
    End If
    If Not (IsNull(Me.txtCRT)) Then
    If sqlString <> "" Then sqlString = sqlString & " And"
    sqlString = sqlString & " tblInspections.CRT = '" & [Forms]![Form3]![txtCRT] & "'"
    End If
    '...

sqlString = "SELECT Count(tblInspections.FLT) AS CountOfFLT, Left([FLT],2) AS FaultType, tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description, tblInspections.CRT FROM tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES INNER JOIN (tblInspections INNER JOIN tblQR ON (tblInspections.strProject = tblQR.strProject) AND (tblInspections.strArea = tblQR.strArea) AND (tblInspections.strReference = tblQR.strReference)) ON tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Code = tblInspections.FLT WHERE (trim(tblInspections.FLT) <> '" & sqlString & "') GROUP BY Left([FLT],2), tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description, tblInspections.CRT;"

Debug.Print sqlString
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete "query5"
    CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef "query5", sqlString
    Me.Refresh
    Me.Requery

End Sub

thanks for your help

well that would be your problem.

Take a look at the possible values for sqlString before you try to set the SELECT statement. There's no way you can pass a good value to the statement.

You are comparing:

trim(tblInspections.FLT) <> sqlString.

so if sqlString = tblInspections.CRT = '5' then that translates to:

trim(tblInspections.FLT) <> 'tblInspections.CRT = '5'

which is obviously bad syntax.

I don't get what you're trying to do here... none of the possible values for sqlString after your If statement will work in that query..

Im sorry im new to this.. below is my original form.. the user asked if I could add another search criteria to filter out my CRT field.. I added the code inside my query and tried modifying it to work on my form...

I think some how i mixed in the trim function to my CRT field..

Do you have any ideas how to do this.. I'm at a total lost..

thanks!

Private Sub Command4_Click()
    Dim sqlString As String
    sqlString = ""

If Not (IsNull(Me.txtStartOpen3) Or IsNull(Me.txtStartEnd3)) Then
    sqlString = "AND tblInspections.strDate Between #" & Me.txtStartOpen3 & "# And #" & Me.txtStartEnd3 & "#"
    End If
    '...

sqlString = "SELECT Count(tblInspections.FLT) AS CountOfFLT, Left([FLT],2) AS FaultType, tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description FROM tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES INNER JOIN (tblInspections INNER JOIN tblQR ON (tblInspections.strProject = tblQR.strProject) AND (tblInspections.strArea = tblQR.strArea) AND (tblInspections.strReference = tblQR.strReference)) ON tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Code = tblInspections.FLT WHERE (trim(tblInspections.FLT) & ''<>'') " & sqlString & " GROUP BY Left([FLT],2), tblFaultCode_FAULTCODES.Description;"

Debug.Print sqlString
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete "query5"
    CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef "query5", sqlString
    Me.Refresh
    Me.Requery

DoCmd.OpenForm "Form3a", acNormal
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "form3"
    End Sub