Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Too many fields defined. (Error 3190)

"Too many fields defined. (Error 3190)
    You tried to perform an operation that involves more than 255 fields. Reduce the number of fields, and then try the operation again."

That's what I get when trying to insert a new column to a data sheet. I only have a total of 35 columns in the data sheet, not near 255.

Any ideas, please? Thank you!

What does "when trying to insert a new column to a data sheet" mean? Are you trying to paste data into a table? Please be more explicit.

Originally posted by poliarci
    What does "when trying to insert a new column to a data sheet" mean? Are you trying to paste data into a table? Please be more explicit.
    I'm trying to insert a new column in a table (data sheet) and I get the error message.

try making a new empty database and File¦Get External Data¦Import all the objects from your current database.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Originally posted by izyrider
    try making a new empty database and File¦Get External Data¦Import all the objects from your current database.

izy
    If you need to keep refreshing the imported data use File¦Get External Data¦Link Tables. Then in dialogs use Advanced¦Specs to save the fields and method that is imported. Remember to save the spec, too.

HTH

Originally posted by izyrider

izy
    That would be a way to go, but I don't think it would solve the problem. The database (16 tables in total) works fine, it's just this particular table that I use more often then the others.

"...involves more than 255 fields."

What are fields anyway? I mean, Is a cell a field? Does every setting in the table count as field?

Thank you!

Excel tables paste OK (not preferred method) to Access if the excel sheet uses row headers (the field names) on top and data in the rows. In other words one record of data is in one row in multiple fields (columns). If this is unclear perhaps load a bmp to show us what your trying to insert.

Excel tables paste OK (not preferred method) to Access if the excel sheet uses row headers (the field names) on top and data in the rows. In other words one record of data is in one row in multiple fields (columns). If this is unclear perhaps load a bmp to show us what your trying to insert.
    Have a look at the attachment to see what I'm trying to do. The table is part of a database already.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen.gif  

Here is what I did with adding just two columns:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inserted2flds.bmp  

And here is the Design view of the table:
    (see attached)

Now, in my earlier test, adding to Datasheet view, when I tried to add two columns from Excel, but only had added one field (column) in access ONLY the first field copied. The second one ended up in the bit bucket in the sky.

My recommendation is to either insert your fields first; this is why my/izyrider's solutions are preferred. This would be tedious whereas the import easy. Why not import this data into a separate table then merge data later perhaps w/ append or update querries. Hmmm...

As an afterthought: How are you selecting your data in Excel? How do you select the actual 35 columns? Be specific.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tbldesignvw.bmp  
    Last edited by poliarci; 04-18-04 at 14:14.

As an afterthought: How are you selecting your data in Excel? How do you select the actual 35 columns? Be specific.
    I don't, the table was created from within the database in Access, no in Excel. I think there's been a misunderstanding. I got nothing in Excel, everything is in Access. I'm not copying from Excel, I'm adding a new column to a table in Access.

Still, how are you trying to add 35 columns? The method you choose adds only one at a time! Perhaps you may need some VB code to add them programmatically? In that case you would need a table with fieldnames, field type, field properties (length, etc.). Be specific on how you are adding the 35 columns with a 1 column tool.

Still, how are you trying to add 35 columns? The method you choose adds only one at a time! Perhaps you may need some VB code to add them programmatically? In that case you would need a table with fieldnames, field type, field properties (length, etc.). Be specific on how you are adding the 35 columns with a 1 column tool.
    Yes, I created the table by adding one column at a time, as needed. I didn't know exactly how many columns I needed, so I took it one step at a time. I just Right Click where I want the new column to be inserted and choose Insert New Column, that's all.

I noticed though, that if I Copy and Paste the table under a different name, the problem goes away, I'm able to add more columns without getting the error message. No idea why though, and that's what bothers me, it's not as much not to be able to do something but not knowing what's going on.

Thank you!

You can use the Append method to add a new table to a database, add a field to a table, and add a field to an index via VB.

As per what's going on in your case, possibly you are calling two fields the same name, or perhaps their names are too similar (ie, character1 and character2). Variable (field) names usually, or at least in practice, should be different in the first 8 characters. For example, char1 and char2 could be used for prior example.

Sorry for the confusion earlier.

Hi brduran,

Not sure what exactly is going on but asking. Did you go into your table in DesignView and add the new field to hold the data first? Kinda sounds like you already have the table and trying to just add another field of data in the DataSheetView. Just from what I can see, create the field in your TableDesignView first to hold it and then copy your other data into it. Just trying to help out a bit.

Bud