Unanswered: Using DTS Object Model in Visual Basic

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know any good reference books or online material about using DTS Object Model in Visual Basic.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards,
    kalyan

heres a good technique that i had a develper perform

create a simple dts package.
    such as a simple copy object or transfer data from one db to another
    then save the working package as a visual basic file..*.bas
    then open it in visual studio and look at the code

i dont have a book per se about what you want but i have a decent dts book entitiled. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS By Timothy Peterson
    It's got some object model and reference info, more so than most of the other dts books that i own.

on a side note WWW.BestBookBuys.com is the best book portal i have found. always great prices and a pretty large Database of titles.

And also refer to http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?258 website for goodies and tips on DTS .
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Hi Ruprect & Satya,

Thanks for the Info.
    I have been doing the same thing right now.
    "create a simple dts package....then save the working package as a visual basic file..*.bas --- then open it in visual studio and look at the code"

But I needed some more info about the DTS Object Model. Here at the Client, we have a bunch of ETLs that have been done using the DTS Designer and now the Client wants to change all the ETLs to use DTS Object Model in Visual Basic for better Error Handling and other features.
    Can you throw some light on the pros and cons of creating the entire DTS Packages in VB using DTS Object Model. Which is better VB 6.0 or VB.Net in such a situation ???

Thankyou.

With Regards,
    kalyan

the dts package has excellent error handling in its native format unig the transactional settings and the workflows (sync and async) really make your packages portable and robust.

activex operations run slower in dts and should be held at a minimum. i always suggest that users should create as many tasks and steps in dts as possible with the native objects.
    it sounds like you want portability as well with this, might i suggest a com storage file (*.dts) you would be able to use c# or C++. and use udls and dynamic properties so you dont end up with a lot of dropped package guids.

just my 3.7 cents