Unanswered: Web Based DATABASE...??

Ok, here's what i'm trying to do.. I've got lots of information kept in many different places. I'm trying to create a web based viewer located on our intranet here. I'v started on the site and i've linked the data access pages to a database. However, for some reason only one person can view the information at a time. I know the is a way to aloow multiple users. I've done it before but I don't remember what I did.. Could someone help me out with this?

Also one more thing... How can I run queries on data access pages? Example... I've got 5 different locations whos work schedule I track.. On this site i want them to be able to log-in and select there work location then comw to a page where they can choose a date range. On submit, they will view the schedule for their work location within the date range they chose.

I've got it kinda working now, but i've got a seperate page for each work location. I've also got a seperate page for each schedule for each work location.... too many pages...

Re: Web Based DATABASE...??

Originally posted by bloodfest
    Ok, here's what i'm trying to do..
    (Heavy cut)
    I've got it kinda working now, but i've got a seperate page for each work location. I've also got a seperate page for each schedule for each work location.... too many pages...
    Try using a continuous form where each row (or two or more) is a "page" in your case.

You said, "Also one more thing... How can I run queries on data access pages?" Pages? What are you trying to do? Typically, you have data in tables, then to select or filter data you build queries. Forgive me if I'm being too basic.

And for your first question, "is (there) a way to allow multiple users"? We need more info on how you have "linked the data access pages to a database." Please give details and your relative access experience.

bloodfest

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding...

Here's what I'm trying to do.. I've got the database made.. I have no problem with the queries and databae.

I'm the head scheduler for where I work and there are many sections in my work place.. Each work place has a scheduler assigned to it.. Because I have so much information to present to the boss every week, i've decided instead of printing out 20 booklet a week I place everything on the intranet. Well there is some information that needs to be view and accessed by the work sections schedulers.. Am I making sense? I can't allow them access to the entire database so I want to link HTML pages to the database.. I have no knowledge of ASP and only started to self study HTML.

I'm a fast learner so I think i'll pick it up eventually. Anyway, So in need to build pages where the work section can choose there section as well as select a date range to view their work schedule. I guess I'll start with just this situation first.. then I'll work on the multi user problem..

To explain the multi user problem.. for example I'm looking at the page for a work section... now noone else can access that database.. It says it cannot lock file... something like that...

bloodfest

Also just as a related side issue it's just the limited nature of data access pages that the user's computer needs to be able to establish a client-side connection to the database. That's why data access pages aren't really used much on the Internet.

And for an internal Intranet on a LAN one problem with data access pages is that of permissions if you don't want all users to be able to get at all the data.

And for your info here is my take on using ASP pages connected server-side to a database as opposed to data access pages.

Web Database Concept
    http://www.bullschmidt.com/concept.asp
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips