Question Unanswered: Libraries: ActiveX Data Objects Lib 2.1 vs. 2.7

In a standard installation of MS Access 2002/XP the library:

Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Lib 2.1

is selected by default, but in the list I have also

Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Lib 2.7
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.7 Lib
    Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.7 for DLL and Security

which all are unchecked. They seem "related", however, and I wonder especially about the security things in the latter. C

So:
    1. What is the main effect of replacing 2.1 with 2.7 (cannot have both at the same time, obviously enough)
    2. Would it affect any of the databases that I have been developing with 2.1, hence 2.7 disabled? I assume nothing of the old stuff will stop working or need adjustments?
    3. What about distributing new versions, can I expect the 2.7 to be available on "all" Acc2002+ computers to auto-enable through vba on open?
    4. Where do I check which version of MDAC i have? What is the most recent version, any major reasons to use it if I am one step below or something like that?

I will be using ADO as I plan to shift some backend databases onto both the standalone SQL desktop version, but also towards MySQL. The latter I am unsure about, havent checked about MySQL yet: is ADO or DAO best for connecting to backends on MySQL?

Thanks for any advice/comments
    Daniel.

1) Use one or the other ... Newer component with enhancements/fixes

2) No. This is your mechanism for accessing the data ...

3) No. Never assume ...

4) The library # (2.1, 2.7, etc ...) is your MDAC version ...

You do have to verify that each host PC has the proper MDAC installed on it ... Whichever version you use.

Smile Re: Libraries: ActiveX Data Objects Lib 2.1 vs. 2.7

Originally posted by kedaniel
    In a standard installation of MS Access 2002/XP the library:

Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Lib 2.1

is selected by default, but in the list I have also

Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Lib 2.7
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.7 Lib
    Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.7 for DLL and Security

which all are unchecked. They seem "related", however, and I wonder especially about the security things in the latter. C

So:
    1. What is the main effect of replacing 2.1 with 2.7 (cannot have both at the same time, obviously enough)
    2. Would it affect any of the databases that I have been developing with 2.1, hence 2.7 disabled? I assume nothing of the old stuff will stop working or need adjustments?
    3. What about distributing new versions, can I expect the 2.7 to be available on "all" Acc2002+ computers to auto-enable through vba on open?
    4. Where do I check which version of MDAC i have? What is the most recent version, any major reasons to use it if I am one step below or something like that?

I will be using ADO as I plan to shift some backend databases onto both the standalone SQL desktop version, but also towards MySQL. The latter I am unsure about, havent checked about MySQL yet: is ADO or DAO best for connecting to backends on MySQL?

Thanks for any advice/comments
    Daniel.
    One additional comment.

Stick with the lowest common denominator if you are operating on machines with different Access versions. Go with the oldest version. I suspect that's why 2.1 is the default.
    Gregg

DAO, ADO, SQL, Automation and anything else I can pick up.

Re: Libraries: ActiveX Data Objects Lib 2.1 vs. 2.7

Of course the higher the version the more capabilities you have. I use version 2.5 in my applications. If you can send your users the MDAC library version you want them to use, but if this is a hassle then as basicmek said go for the lowest common denominator.
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

Question

OK, thanks all for the assuring/clarifying comments.

However, two confusions remain:

1. MDAC = Library? What does that mean, the group of all related 2.7 libraries make up one MDAC version?

2. I will be using Access 2002 (XP), all clients have either Nordic (Norwegian/Danish/Sweedish/Finnish), German, Spanish or English (UK/US) versions of Access 2002 or 2003, so 2002 will be my lowest common denominator. I have not downloaded anything else, never MDAC manually or other, but use SP1 for WinXP and using MS office web update... on my laptop, the latter I do not know if all clients do.

Is 2.7 always present in standard office 2002 installations?
    Then I think will use that one.

I saw, however an article about this being MS trying to get all tomove from DAO to ADO, which is not always the best as I understand, hence I would want to ensure that DAO 3.6 is always present on the clients. That too is part of the standard package I believe.

This article had particularly two suggestions that one could choose between to avoid conflicts between DAO and ADO: Either always specify ADODB.recordset/DAO.recordset in the code (best, I guess), OR: make DAO have higher priority in the library listing... How can I affect priority when enabling modules by VBA, and is this actually a "solution" or might it also be a trap? I will anyway specify, but other issues arise such as I have developed one db, the client then continues to ask me about his/her other dbs which they maintain themselves perhaps, and I wonder if my enabling/priority settings affect the whole access, also when my particular db is closed. I think so, which may trigger a situation where I cause another db to malfunction , so maybe I need to record the state before making changes, then resetting them when the db closes?

D.

MDAC 2.7 installed but Reference still shows ADO Ext 2.1 DLL

I installed MDAC 2.7 but my Reference in VB is still showing ADO Ext 2.1 DLL

I need to force all the terminals in my office to 2.7 Can anyone help