Unanswered: Link only selected fields of remote table?

In my current project I am linking to the employee table in another database (that I do not control) that contains employee info (name, ssn, hire date, salary, etc).

People using my database are not suppose to have access to salary info in the other database. I'd rather not have this info in my database.

Is there away to link only certain fields of a remote table or to keep someone in my database from looking at these fields? I understand I could hide the table, but it would be safer and more secure if I just don't bring over that info.

Thanks.

How often does the information change?

One method would be to maintain a "temp" table with just the fileds you want. This isn't the cleanest way, but it's fairly simple to setup and maintain.

Through code or queries, you can either delete and reform the temp table as required (daily, weekly, you decide) or run a module that checks for changes between the "temp" and the real thing.

Deleting and reforming is the easier of the two, but will cause "bloating" (which can be remedied by compacting).

Along the same thread, have a module in your front end that creates the temp table on demand using an SQL driven in code. As long as you secure the front end, the user will not be able to get to the code.

Originally posted by tcace
    How often does the information change?

One method would be to maintain a "temp" table with just the fileds you want. This isn't the cleanest way, but it's fairly simple to setup and maintain.

Through code or queries, you can either delete and reform the temp table as required (daily, weekly, you decide) or run a module that checks for changes between the "temp" and the real thing.

Deleting and reforming is the easier of the two, but will cause "bloating" (which can be remedied by compacting).

Along the same thread, have a module in your front end that creates the temp table on demand using an SQL driven in code. As long as you secure the front end, the user will not be able to get to the code.
    Thanks for the input. The info changes that would affect my database are status (active employee/inactive), job title, dept, etc and could happen at any time. Would probably have to re-populate the temp table every time dB is opened.

You mentioned SQL to populate the table-is it possible to access a non-linked remote table with SQL?

Thanks.

Yes, but the path to the source db would be exposed in code.

This is not a big deal, however, if your front end is an MDE, becasue and MDE has no visible code in it - it's all compiled.

There's many discussions in this forum about front-ends and MDE's if you need more help in that direction.

You can pretty much do anything you want in code. I have a situation where I need to access the raw data and transfer data to a temp table on demand, as the first thing that happens when I open a particular form (sounds like you need to do the same).

Check out Tony's info on using Temp Databases, on the website for Granite Consulting (I don't have the URL handy, sorry). His code, which he offers as copyrighted freeware, includes the methods to link a table through code. Using an MDE and creating the link through code should make it pretty secure.

Hope this helps!