Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Rename column in db2

Hi, everyone
    i want to learn , how can i rename column name in db2?
    we are using db2 OS/390 7.0 and
    i m doing,
    ALTER TABLE TableName RENAME COLUMN OldName TO NewName
    but it's not getting..

thanks...

Are you kidding me? You need to download the SQL Reference guide from the IBM website. It is free. There is no such syntax to rename a column.
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data...s/library.html
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi Paren, you'll have to drop the table and redo with the proper column name. If you have some information in the table, before you drop the table you'll have to create a temporary table, insert all the info into that table, drop the old table, create the new tablespace, create the new table with the right column names and column definitions. If you have any, redo any primary and foreign you have. Give grant access to users and then insert all the information from the temporary table.

That's what we have to do here and we are using DB2 version 7.1 for OS/390.
    Mbourd25

thanks a lot Marcus_A and mbourd_d25

Cool Hi

hi folks....im working on DB 9.1 on z/os platform.....

the rename command work for v 9.1..i dunno what versions you are talking about....see my command

ALTER TABLE G31.TG31PDIX RENAME COLUMN RECORD_KEY TO RECORD_KEYY;

DSRZDB2D (s6wbq5) 7:23:43 PM 0:00:00.810 Execution successful ALTER TABLE G31.TG31PDIX RENAME COLUMN RECORD_KEY TO RECORD_KEYY.....

Quote Originally Posted by abhi_srk View Post
    hi folks....im working on DB 9.1 on z/os platform.....

the rename command work for v 9.1..i dunno what versions you are talking about....see my command
    You are responding to posts from May 2004. That is almost 6 years ago.
    M. A. Feldman

Abhi, thanks. Its good to update old posts so people can find answers on google thereby making this a more popular and successful board.

Marcus, I'm not sure why you're still allowed to post here after your initial response.

--

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by hifferyj View Post
    Marcus, I'm not sure why you're still allowed to post here after your initial response.
    You mean my post from 2004? Because people should check the manual to see if a particular syntax is allowed, instead of just being lazy. If they don't understand the manual or have some question about it (or they could not find the subject in the manual), then it is perfectly fine to ask.

As to why I am allowed to post, it probably has something to do with the fact that (unlike you) I have answered several thousand legitimate questions with very useful information and/or advise.
    M. A. Feldman

And unlike me, in a great number of them, you've berated people.

And unlike me, in a great number of them, you've berated people.
    You mean like you berate me?

I just ask people to be courteous and make an honest effort to read the documentation first and then ask questions. I doubt you have read very many of the more than 4000 questions I have answered, so I don't take your opinion very seriously.
    M. A. Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_a View Post
    i have answered several thousand legitimate questions with very useful information and/or advise.
    100% .

Actually, before I initially responded, I clicked on "View All Posts" and witnessed a few instances of your very own brand of courtesy.

Your initial post here was condescending and uncalled for. Granted, it was 6 years ago but your stripes haven't changed all that much.

I didn't berate you. I called you out on something. So if you don't put much stock in my opinions, dig elsewhere and move on . . .

Actually, before I initially responded, I clicked on "View All Posts" and witnessed a few instances of your very own brand of courtesy.

Your initial post here was condescending and uncalled for. Granted, it was 6 years ago but your stripes haven't changed all that much.

I didn't berate you. I called you out on something. So if you don't put much stock in my opinions, dig elsewhere and move on . . .
    If someone tries to execute a specific comand such as:

"ALTER TABLE TableName RENAME COLUMN OldName TO NewName"

and it does not work, I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest to that person that they look in manual to see if that is valid syntax.

Maybe you didn't notice, but the original poster in 2004 thanked me for my answer, perhaps because I posted a link to the manuals.
    M. A. Feldman

hifferyj, Let's be "DB2 friends".

Marcus is one of the most knowledgeable DBAs and I'm sure many people are learning a LOT from his posts. I do!