Thread: ip address

Smile Unanswered: ip address

I have just been handed down an old box with HPUX 11i. I have this box at home and want to use it as testing server. I have the root login and have set up a personal login for testing purposes. Therefore I connected a network cable from my laptop to the lan connection in the back of the ux box and "pinged" it {127.0.0.1} from the laptop and I got a good reply. However when I went to try to open a telnet session to login.... the ip address was not to be found. My question is.... is there something else I need to set up in the /etc/host file or is this a windows problem or a network set up problem.

Looking forward to your reply.
    mvilla

Re: ip address

127.0.0.1 is loopback ... You have pinged your windows machine and not the Unix box ...

BTW, what sort of network cable do you have ? If you are connecting back-to-back, you should have a cross-cable (not sure what it is known technically)

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mvillan
    I have just been handed down an old box with HPUX 11i. I have this box at home and want to use it as testing server. I have the root login and have set up a personal login for testing purposes. Therefore I connected a network cable from my laptop to the lan connection in the back of the ux box and "pinged" it {127.0.0.1} from the laptop and I got a good reply. However when I went to try to open a telnet session to login.... the ip address was not to be found. My question is.... is there something else I need to set up in the /etc/host file or is this a windows problem or a network set up problem.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Re: ip address

BTW, what sort of network cable do you have ? If you are connecting back-to-back, you should have a cross-cable (not sure what it is known technically
    ...and you can easily make your own cross-over cable from normal cat5 by snipping 4 of the 8 wires (the orange and green ones) and 'crossing' them over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cable_diag.bmp