Unanswered: database in suspect mode

Hi

my database went into suspect mode. i tried to reset the status database by "sp_resetstatus abc". It is giving the message

"Prior to updating sysdatabases entry for database 'cr2db', mode = 0 and status = 260 (status suspect_bit = 256).
    For row in sysdatabases for database 'cr2db', the status bit 256 was forced off and mode was forced to 0.
    Warning: You must recover this database prior to access."

please let me if you have any solution to this problem.

thank you in advance

ricky

Provided Answers: 54
    Before you do ANYTHING, you do have two good backups, right?

Operative word being should, you should be able to simply stop the SQL Server and restart it. When the server starts up, it puts all of the databases through recovery.

-PatP

Originally posted by Pat Phelan
    Before you do ANYTHING, you do have two good backups, right?

Operative word being should, you should be able to simply stop the SQL Server and restart it. When the server starts up, it puts all of the databases through recovery.

-PatP
    I tried to restart the SQL Server. But still it is in suspect mode. I tried to update the status of the database is sysdatabase tables to 0 and then again restarted the sql server. when i check status field in sysdatabases it is showing 256. can anybody tell me why it changing to 256 when i set it to 0.

Have you checked SQL errorlog?Could it be any process accessing the data or log files? Is there enough disk space?

Originally posted by rding
    Have you checked SQL errorlog?Could it be any process accessing the data or log files? Is there enough disk space?

I has 8 GB disk space. and i checked the error log, it has an entry

"Bypassing recovery for database 'abc' because it is marked SUSPECT"

and another entry is

"Failed to obtain TransactionDiscpenserInterface: Result Code =0x8004d01b"

ricky

Originally posted by ricky503
    I tried to restart the SQL Server. But still it is in suspect mode. I tried to update the status of the database is sysdatabase tables to 0 and then again restarted the sql server. when i check status field in sysdatabases it is showing 256. can anybody tell me why it changing to 256 when i set it to 0.
    Damn...

I was going to suggest that you dump the suspect database BEFORE you did the rerstart...

What does DBCC CHECKDB tell you?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

I wwould

I would recommend you taking backup of log first .

Check the Article here..

http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...-us&qu=Q165918

seems like either you may have run out of disk space or a drive is bad or somthing

Originally posted by Brett Kaiser
    Damn...

I was going to suggest that you dump the suspect database BEFORE you did the rerstart...

What does DBCC CHECKDB tell you?
    DBCC check has no errors

"CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'master'."

Originally posted by ricky503
    DBCC check has no errors

"CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'master'."
    Hi

I am using ms sql server 2000, one of my databse went into suspect mode, i cehcked the database. it has no error

i try to reset the status. but it didnot worked. I have 8 GB disk space available.

I have the device files abc.mdf (14 GB) , abc_ind.ndf( .5 GB) and abc_log.ldf (.5 GB). can anyone tell me how to recover by database from these files.

can i copy these file to different device( "E" having 50GB ) and create a new database ?

I have to recover this database. please help me out

thank in advance

ricky

Have you followed as per the books online Resetting the Suspect Status topic.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Originally posted by Satya
    Have you followed as per the books online Resetting the Suspect Status topic.
    Yes I tried. But it didnot work.

How about reattaching the data file. Give a try; Stop SQL and make a copy of ur data-file, attach the data file with another DB name, create a new transaction file by renaming the older one prior to attach.
    Just an idea.

Howdy!

check

check sp_attach_db . If nothing works you may be able to recover major part of it

I would recommend you doing the backup of log

I think this will also fail as the database status is suspect you cannot access it to detach and attach.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Originally posted by Satya
    I think this will also fail as the database status is suspect you cannot access it to detach and attach.
    Yes. I am not able to do anything on that database as it is in suspect mode.

By using data files can i retrieve data ?

ricky