Unanswered: problem setting up DSN on Win 2000 Professional

Dear All,

I am following up a short tutorial on JDBC, from jGuru. It recommends setting up a DSN as it uses a MS Access database file for the excercise. I have the .mdb file stored in a dir C:\mybd. This is what I do to set up DSN on Win 2000....

1. Click - Start - Settings - Control Panel
    2. Double Click - Administrative Tools to get the administrative tools window and related icons.
    3. Double Click - Data Sources (ODBC) icon.
    4. Click on the System DSN Tab. Here I dont have any System Data Sources listed as Name and Driver pairs.
    5. Click - Add Button.
    Gives me a "Create New Data Source" Dialog Box. There is One Driver listed with its values as per the columns shown below:

Name: Oracle ODBC Driver
    Version: 8.01.07.00
    Company: Oracle Corporation
    File: SQORA32.DLL
    Date: 5/11/2000

6. The BACK button is Greyed out. the Finish and Cancel Buttons are enabled.
    7. When I hit Cancel I am back to the "ODBC Data Source Administrator" Dialog Box and have an option of Adding a DSN.
    8. When I click Finish at step 6, I am taken to an "Oracle8 ODBC Driver Setup" Dialog box, asking me to fill up fields like Data Source Name, Description, Service Name, UserID and other database options, Workaround options, Application options, and Translation option fields/check boxes on the same dialog box.

I have installed Oracle 8i Personal Edition - Version 8.1.7 on my Windows 2000 Professional O.S. I tried stopping some Oracle Services and tried reinstalling System DSN/drivers for MS Access databases. It still proceeds as the above mentioned 8 steps. Can I never be able to test Java connectivity to MS Access Database on my system ( I have MS Access 2000 installed on the system too) ?
    Where could I be going wrong. I never get the Dialog Box to fill up details for the DSN name, its description and the ability to point to the directory where I have my MS Access file(database) stored . Please help.

Thank you for going through a rather verbose description on my problem.

Regards,
    Amit

Have you tried hard coding the path to your database?

breeze76

Well breeze76,

I was just going by the steps mentioned and found problems setting up DSN on Windows 2000. I have tried hardcoding the path to the database to test a JDBC program using Java. That worked for Oracle. It mightr work for MS Access File based database too. But the issue that I am trying to solve is setting up the DSN on my Win 200 Professional. Why is it not working or allowing me to set up a driver for MS Access database. It always keeps pointing to the Oracle Driver, even when I try to add a new System DSN.
    Thanks for going through my description, though.
    Sincerely,
    Amit