Unanswered: Starting MySQL in Linux (newbie)

I'm trying to get MySQL to start on a RedHat 7.2 machine. I have a RedHat 9.0 machine that I installed it on and it works fine. But when I try to use the 7.2 machine it doesn't work for some reason.

I type:
    /etc/init.d/mysqld start
    (this command is what I use when running it on the 9.0 machine)

And get:
    The file /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld doesn't exist or is not executable
    Please do a cd to the mysql directory and restart this script from there as follows:
    ./bin/safe_mysqld

This is all done with root.

I had tried to just reinstall the same version I put on the 9.0 machine but it won't let me due to conflicts with MySQL already being on the 7.2 machine. The versions that are being used are 3.23.41 which is on the 7.2 machine and 3.23.58 which is on the 9.0 and also the one that I tried to install on the 7.2

Thanks for any help.

Re: Starting MySQL in Linux (newbie)

Originally posted by Demure_Mcclure
    I'm trying to get MySQL to start on a RedHat 7.2 machine. I have a RedHat 9.0 machine that I installed it on and it works fine. But when I try to use the 7.2 machine it doesn't work for some reason.

I type:
    /etc/init.d/mysqld start
    (this command is what I use when running it on the 9.0 machine)

And get:
    Please do a cd to the mysql directory and restart this script from there as follows:
    ./bin/safe_mysqld

This is all done with root.

I had tried to just reinstall the same version I put on the 9.0 machine but it won't let me due to conflicts with MySQL already being on the 7.2 machine. The versions that are being used are 3.23.41 which is on the 7.2 machine and 3.23.58 which is on the 9.0 and also the one that I tried to install on the 7.2

Thanks for any help.
    Folow the instructions:

./bin/safe_mysqld

I did what it says to do and end it looks like it starts but then it ends right after that:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
    040420 11:50:12 mysqld ended

So when I go to run the program that needs mysql to run it doesn't work still.

Originally posted by Demure_Mcclure
    I did what it says to do and end it looks like it starts but then it ends right after that:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
    040420 11:50:12 mysqld ended

So when I go to run the program that needs mysql to run it doesn't work still.
    what the error log says?