Unanswered: Filemaker opens wrong file

I manage a Filemaker application that is hosted via Filemaker Server 5.5. The application is comprised of a set of related databases. I'm having trouble because Filemaker is somehow finding my local (development) copies of some of the database files when it tries to resolve relationships.

So, for example, I load the main application from the Filemaker Server host. I then click a button that runs a script in the related database. Instead of opening the hosted version of the related database, it opens my local copy, somehow finding it in my local filesystem.

I don't understand how Filemaker decides which files to open in which cases. I've also encountered issues when trying to open a local copy that is locked by another user in which Filemaker magically finds the hosted version and opens that instead, without giving me any obvious indication that it is doing so. I'm trying to establish 'development', 'test' and 'live' instances of the application, and without being able to predict what files it is going to open in different situations is making this very difficult.

I haven't found any documentation that explains this. I'm hoping I've just overlooked it or somebody can give me an explanation that will clear it up for me.

Re: Filemaker opens wrong file

Originally posted by therrick
    I manage a Filemaker application that is hosted via Filemaker Server 5.5. The application is comprised of a set of related databases. I'm having trouble because Filemaker is somehow finding my local (development) copies of some of the database files when it tries to resolve relationships.

So, for example, I load the main application from the Filemaker Server host. I then click a button that runs a script in the related database. Instead of opening the hosted version of the related database, it opens my local copy, somehow finding it in my local filesystem.

I don't understand how Filemaker decides which files to open in which cases. I've also encountered issues when trying to open a local copy that is locked by another user in which Filemaker magically finds the hosted version and opens that instead, without giving me any obvious indication that it is doing so. I'm trying to establish 'development', 'test' and 'live' instances of the application, and without being able to predict what files it is going to open in different situations is making this very difficult.

I haven't found any documentation that explains this. I'm hoping I've just overlooked it or somebody can give me an explanation that will clear it up for me.
    Hi therrick,

I routinely have the same problem. I get around it by renaming the files i don't want to open; that is, i have two solutions which have files with the same name (modules.usr). When i want to open the one solution, i rename modules.usr from the OTHER solution to "modules.xxx". This can be scripted in a batch file. I don't have shortcuts directly to my FM solutions; the shortcuts actually go first to the batch file, which renames the desired file to modules.usr, renames the non-desired file to modules.xxx, and then openes modules.usr.

Thus, at any given time, the file i'm interested in is openable by FM, and the one i'm not interested in is unopenable. If there's a more elegant solution, i'd genuinely love to hear it, because i hate having to go through a batch file just to open a database.

J

Several thoughts...

My first thought is that FileMaker 7 allows users to see and edit their file references. The rename method works fairly well with older FMP solutions, but even using the renaming tools there can be problems.

I know that every time I change filenames I have to edit my back button rountinue because it has a bunch of 'if' statements with filenames that the Developer Tools does see as filenames.

The most elegant solution for older FileMaker solutions was written by Danny Mack and company and can be found at:

http://www.nmci.com/Product_Overview...3506PHQEJ4BGXL

Metadata Magic allows users to access file reference data, and other information straight from the FileMaker file. I have seen it demoed several times, but I still use a competitors product (Brushfire) because I'm cheap....

I'd be curious to hear from someone who has used it on a real solution.

Another idea

Another approach to this problem is not to allow FileMaker to open up it's own files. Let's say you have a related file called line_items.fp5. FileMaker will automatically use any open version of line_items.fp5, no matter the path. Otherwise FileMaker will go through it's list of locations where it thinks this file is supposed to be. Most of the time it opens the right file, but we all know that sometimes it will go grab another copy from another folder or server.

I have created a launch file that utilizes troi File to open all the files in a solution, so that all the files are already opened, so FileMaker never has to go hunting for the file. This approach is also very fast compared to querying a FileMaker Server.

If you are interested I could upload a copy. The scripting is straight forward. I assume that the free File plug-in that's floating could likely handle it, but I own a developer's version of Troi File, so I tend to use products that I know will work....

thanks,

Joe