Unanswered: Creating Excel Functions as FMP APIs

I need to replicate several MS Excel functions in a FMP7 database running on a WinXP Pro machine. Specifically, I need the following functions (all related to bond investments):

ACCRINT
    ACCRINTM
    COUPDAYBS
    COUPDAYS
    COUPDAYSNC
    COUPNCD
    COUPPCD
    DAYS360
    XIRR
    YIELD
    YIELDDISC
    YIELDMAT

My understanding is that these functions can be written as APIs and then called by a FMP7 database. In effect, once written they can be used just like one of the stock FMP7 calculation functions. I would like to know what is involved in writing an API for FMP7 that would accomplish this. I am competent at programming in Visual Basic but donít know if thatís helpful in writing APIs for FMP7. Thanks for your help.

Gurs

Re: Creating Excel Functions as FMP APIs

Originally posted by gurs
    I need to replicate several MS Excel functions in a FMP7 database running on a WinXP Pro machine. Specifically, I need the following functions (all related to bond investments):

ACCRINT
    ACCRINTM
    COUPDAYBS
    COUPDAYS
    COUPDAYSNC
    COUPNCD
    COUPPCD
    DAYS360
    XIRR
    YIELD
    YIELDDISC
    YIELDMAT

My understanding is that these functions can be written as APIs and then called by a FMP7 database. In effect, once written they can be used just like one of the stock FMP7 calculation functions. I would like to know what is involved in writing an API for FMP7 that would accomplish this. I am competent at programming in Visual Basic but donít know if thatís helpful in writing APIs for FMP7. Thanks for your help.

Gurs
    Gurs, you won't need VB or anything but FM7's standard functions. I haven't used FM7 yet, but i've seen this demonstrated, and it's very straightforward; if you're competent in VB, you can probably do this in your sleep. All you do is write the function:

firstLast ( text ) = left ( text , 1 ) & right ( text , 1 )

right in the Filemaker window; this interface looks exactly like the traditional "Define Calc field" interface.