Unanswered: SQL30081N A communication error

I have installed DB2 8.1 on a WIN2K prof SP4 machine and am trying to connect to it from both an XP machine and another Win2K prof machine.
    I have the same version of DB2 on all pc's. I get then following error

SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10061", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

I used the DB2 Configuration Assistant to configure the connection
    DB2COMM is set to TCPIP on all machines. I have also made sure the services files are identical on all machines

Any help much appreciated

Re: SQL30081N A communication error

On your database server, what edition of DB2 is it ? It should not be Persoanl Edition ...
    Again, on the server do
    netstat -an | find "<your port num>"

The status should be 'LISTEN' ...

On the IBM Website (link is available in Useful DB2 Stuff Thread), you will find a link to Problem Det Tutorials ... There are a couple of suggestions to identify and resolve network errors

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by keenant
    I have installed DB2 8.1 on a WIN2K prof SP4 machine and am trying to connect to it from both an XP machine and another Win2K prof machine.
    I have the same version of DB2 on all pc's. I get then following error

SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10061", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

I used the DB2 Configuration Assistant to configure the connection
    DB2COMM is set to TCPIP on all machines. I have also made sure the services files are identical on all machines

Any help much appreciated
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

netstat -an shows a blank state against my port number .. what does this mean

P.S I am using the enterprise server edition

This means the port is not listening ...

What is the value of SVCENAME in the dbm ..

db2 get dbm cfg

If it is non-numeric value, an entry corresponding to this value should appear in etc/services file ..

If it is blank, give a numeric value (port number) initially for testing, which should be replaced using a service name, preferably, later on

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by keenant
    netstat -an shows a blank state against my port number .. what does this mean

P.S I am using the enterprise server edition
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thumbs up DB2 Connecton Problem

Sathyaram

Thanks for the very usefull info - I checked the IBM site and found loads of info. You were correct the service file was corrupt and there was no port number associated with the service name so I corrected this and configured the TCPIP node using the port number and it worked

Thanks again for the help

T